• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    H110 is a unique beast. It's likely well below max in Indymadcaster's gun - I've known people who are running charges of H110 3-4 grains over published max with no pressure signs. I've had a very hard time getting .44 mag rifles to show any signs of pressure. Pistols, where Hodgdon's data was likely developed are an entirely different ballgame.

Hornady 8 lists the 240gr XTP as 24.8 grains max load with H110 and a WLP primer. This load was developed in a pressure barrel and verified for safety in an 18" Ruger Carbine H110 is a powder that you can only reduce about 5% before it becomes unsafe and goes off on pressure excursions of epic proportions.

Obviously, cross reference every single bit of data you read on the internet, but Indymadcaster's load didn't raise any red flags to me.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    H110 is a unique beast. It's likely well below max in Indymadcaster's gun - I've known people who are running charges of H110 3-4 grains over published max with no pressure signs. I've had a very hard time getting .44 mag rifles to show any signs of pressure. Pistols, where Hodgdon's data was likely developed are an entirely different ballgame.

Hornady 8 lists the 240gr XTP as 24.8 grains max load with H110 and a WLP primer. This load was developed in a pressure barrel and verified for safety in an 18" Ruger Carbine H110 is a powder that you can only reduce about 5% before it becomes unsafe and goes off on pressure excursions of epic proportions.

Obviously, cross reference every single bit of data you read on the internet, but Indymadcaster's load didn't raise any red flags to me.

In my experience H110 really likes to be pushed! My experience has been the closer to max I got the better it shot, and never have had pressure signs in revolver or rifle. It is absolutely a full throttle powder, thus the narrow loading window. I would worry more about under-charging with this powder than over-charging. All that being said, stick with published data and do a good load work up.:yesway:

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    xtp is Not a plated bullet and 2 different manuals i have show 26,5 as max with 240 XTP then again there are differences in years and manuals...........But this load HAS been tested in my rugers, smiths and various rifles with out pressure signs........ fire one look@ the primer and start measuring brass

Top Bottom