• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Very nice gesture. I may have to let my parents know about this when they drive out to see my sister later this month. They will be driving all the way out to Seattle, WA. to visit my sister and take her some of her stuff, and her dog that I've been taking care of. Good man! +1

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I tried using it for a trip to Newport on the Levee on several different dates, and got "Rate not avilable" at all 19 Cincy area hotels listed.

Blackout dates :noway:. During special events, or times when hotels are close to being booked up, they are no longer required to offer employee or F&F discounts, which will show as "Rate not available". Sometimes they also have time restrictions, meaning they might open up the rates two days in advance if they still have a few rooms left to sell.

My advice is 1) keep checking, and 2) if still no luck, you can always call the hotel directly and see if they can help you out. Many times the actual hotel will be much more willing to help out a potential guest, versus calling the 1-800 number and talking to someone 4,000 miles away.

And my #1 piece of advice, for any traveler, anytime, is to KEEP YOUR CONFIRMATION NUMBER WITH YOU! In the event of a mistake or mixup, having your confirmation number handy will tell the front desk agent exactly what the issues is quickly. Normally you won't even need it, but there is nothing worse than someone coming to me, claiming they have a reservation, but they have nothing to show for it. I'm supposed to take their "word" on it. Then, after much searching around, phone calls, and wasted time (mine and theirs), I find that the guest made the reservation himself, and he made it for 'GreenFIELD' and not 'GreenWOOD'. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And my #1 piece of advice, for any traveler, anytime, is to KEEP YOUR CONFIRMATION NUMBER WITH YOU! In the event of a mistake or mixup, having your confirmation number handy will tell the front desk agent exactly what the issues is quickly. Normally you won't even need it, but there is nothing worse than someone coming to me, claiming they have a reservation, but they have nothing to show for it. I'm supposed to take their "word" on it. Then, after much searching around, phone calls, and wasted time (mine and theirs), I find that the guest made the reservation himself, and he made it for 'GreenFIELD' and not 'GreenWOOD'. :D

Sometimes even having your confirmation number is meaningless. Apparently "reservation" and "confirmation" mean something different in the hotel world than they do in real life. Needless to say, there's one hotel that'll never see any of my business again.

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    Thanks so much

Just wanted to thank you for sharing this discount with us. Wife and I just spent 2 weeks seeing New England, and used this discount at 2 places. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Cape Cod (land of liberals) and saved 100 bux over the 2 days we were there. Thank you again & we may use it again since it's been extended....:ingo:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Bumping to the top, as this deal is still active and works!

I will also point out and make clear that these deals are NON REFUNDABLE, so please keep that in mind when making your plans.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I am always torn between booking a hotel in advance and paying the rack rate (even if a discount on the rack rate) or just showing up the night I need a room and getting the "either give me the room at your lowest price or it can sit vacant for the night" rate.. the latter is usually a better deal

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am always torn between booking a hotel in advance and paying the rack rate (even if a discount on the rack rate) or just showing up the night I need a room and getting the "either give me the room at your lowest price or it can sit vacant for the night" rate.. the latter is usually a better deal

It's all about risk.

Can you get a better-than-rack deal by walking in? Usually. But, you run the risk of them not having rooms available. If you are OK with that risk, then take it.

But, if you absolutely need to have a room on a specific date, I'd recommend booking ahead.

I had a guy do this during the Indy 500 weekend a few years ago. Poor guy. I called hotels in a 50-mile radius and couldn't find anything for him. It was 2am, he had his young son with him, and he had decided at the last minute to continue driving rather than stop in Louisville like he had planned (he was just passing through). I'm sure he either ended up sleeping in his car, or hitting a roach motel.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Darn! My wife and I are going to be spending a night in Indy without the little one for the wife's birthday next month. She used Hotwire.com to book a room in what turned out to be the Westin downtown for a total of $80. I would have used your discount to support your hotel chain instead had I known about it.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    is this still good?

[STRIKE]Just checked on a room up in Indy for the 1500 this weekend and got the "Rate Not Available....." message.

But it may still work in other towns or different dates.[/STRIKE]

**Edit: Just checked a different weekend and it worked, must just be too late to book for this coming weekend. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Thanks for the helping hand Evan. It wouldnt let me do a room for this weekend but it may in the future. Much rep for you for posting that! Some give Evan rep for me it said I have to spread it around so I will give it to whoever gives it to Evan! I will be staying at the Candlewood Suites on Bash St.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Thanks for the helping hand Evan. It wouldnt let me do a room for this weekend but it may in the future. Much rep for you for posting that! Some give Evan rep for me it said I have to spread it around so I will give it to whoever gives it to Evan! I will be staying at the Candlewood Suites on Bash St.

your wife will like that as it's right next to all the shopping.

Top Bottom