• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I picked up a 1942 Swedish M38 for a low price at a pawn shop because it has been "customized". I wasn't going to buy it but my son wanted to buy something so I asked offered a low price for both and they took it.

Here is what I know about the rifle so far.
    Dated 1942
    Matching SN on bolt and receiver (don't see any other numbers)
    Stock is changed
    Outside Barrel has been sanded so it looks "Hexed" (wasn't sure if barrel was swapped before I got it home but I think it is original)
    Rear sights are gone

As you can tell from the photos someone with some talent was working on the stock carving designs but only got about 2/3rds done. And not even sure what to call the rear sight they built.

I would really like to restore the rifle but I feel it is too far gone to really do with out blowing a lot of money. It would need stock, new barrel, and rear sight. So I'm thinking put a new stock on it (military or synthetic doesn't matter) and find a scope mount so I can remove the rear sight. Then use her at the range for 400-500 yard rifle.

View attachment 62613 View attachment 62614 View attachment 62616 View attachment 62615

So here is what I need to know. Doing some research a lot of the Mauser stocks and Scope mounts don't work with the Swedish Mauser. So can anyone recommend a good scope mount that will attach to the barrel and not need the rear sight to mount. Same for Stocks anyone make a nice one or anyone know where to find a original?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bought an M38 that was still in its original configuration, but someone had drilled and tapped the receiver for a Weaver style scope mount base. I'm not aware of any that don't require drillng and tapping. As for the stock, you might check Numrich for an original.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks the places I could think of where sold out. Numrich does have one so need to order it this week.

I have no issue drilling for a scope as far as it has come I don't think that step will really hurt the value much more.

Top Bottom