• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    A good friend of mine recently acquired a 1937 S/42 Luger handgun from his late Grandfather. He is not interested in guns and doesn't want it but he has know idea what it's worth. I have exhausted my Google-fu and I am still not sure. I know that it is not a complete #'s matching gun. The serial number is 6645 i. All parts are numbered 45 except the trigger, firing pin and one other piece that are all marked 03. Also the left side grip is numbered 50. I have been able to find what I think are some of the proof marks online, but not all of them. I would love to post pictures on here or a Luger forum of the marks, however I don't have a camera other than my phone. I am planning on taking it with me to the 1500 on Saturday. Does anyone know of anyone there that would know about them? Or is anyone on here going to be there Saturday that would be willing to take a look at it?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    A good friend of mine recently acquired a 1937 S/42 Luger handgun from his late Grandfather. He is not interested in guns and doesn't want it but he has know idea what it's worth. I have exhausted my Google-fu and I am still not sure. I know that it is not a complete #'s matching gun. The serial number is 6645 i. All parts are numbered 45 except the trigger, firing pin and one other piece that are all marked 03. Also the left side grip is numbered 50. I have been able to find what I think are some of the proof marks online, but not all of them. I would love to post pictures on here or a Luger forum of the marks, however I don't have a camera other than my phone. I am planning on taking it with me to the 1500 on Saturday. Does anyone know of anyone there that would know about them? Or is anyone on here going to be there Saturday that would be willing to take a look at it?
    Without seeing any pics I'll guess it's a Dated Chamber S/42 made by Mauser.
    Thousands were made.
    The value can be anywhere from $400.00 for a Poor Condition, to $1600.00 for an Excellent Condition.
    Collectors will deduct for non matching serial numbers.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hello,

First a few questions,

Does this Luger have black synthetic (probably post war) grips, instead of the original walnut ones?

Any signs of electropenciled serial numbers or are the serial numbers on some parts larger than others?

On the sides of the magazines, are the numbers 1001/1002 present?

Is this pistol import marked?

IF (and this is based without having the gun in front of me), the gun has any of the above, this may indicate that it is either an East German re-work or Soviet captured piece. If it is, that will significantly lower its value since most Luger collectors view such pieces as "shooters" and nothing more. If it is a shooter, it's final price will depend on the condition of the bore. I'd say a ballpark figure for such a pistol is in the 700-900 range, if the bore is in decent shape.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    It has the walnut grips. It doesn't appear to have any re-marks. The magazine is not original and doesn't have any marks. It is a shooter, I shot it yesterday:D

Top Bottom