Need a Part-Time Job? If You Have a Bachelors Degree or Higher, Read On.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My mother worked this job for a bit a few years ago. She had been cut from her old place (they cut her entire division), an hadn't picked up her current job yet. Easy-breezy work for the money, which is why it is so low. They want the BS/BA so you can at least read a paragraph without getting a brain cramp. She said the bulk of the group was retired, downsized, housewives, and general part-timers. This isn't a career. Just some extra cash for a month or two.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You think so????
    Which part? That they aren't ridiculing? Well, I re-read the whole thread and yes, I guess there were 2 posters that ridiculed right off the bat, but after that I think all the replies were pretty serious and not ridiculing. I guess that's what I get for sub-consciously ignoring the crappy posts.

If you were questioning that most people make more than double that then I guess I misspoke. It didn't quite come out the way I intended it, please forgive me. What I meant to say was that most people that would decline such an offer currently have a job where they make more than double that amount. Either way, the point I was trying to make was that it's great he offered it up, and for those people that need a part-time job etc it is a great opportunity, but for many people, they have a day-job and it's just not worth it to take that time out of being at home. I guess for somebody that makes $12/hr it's not a bad part-time job, but for a person that makes $30/hr then $10/hr isn't quite as appealing.

I guess I just didn't do a very good job of getting my point across. I wasn't bashing the OP, as a matter of fact, I'm glad he posted it, and I hope some INGOers get hooked up. I was simply trying to theorize why some people were declining the offer, either in a rude manner, or some in a more polite manner.

I guess to clarify my take on it. If the job was closer to me, I would take a part time job at $10/hr, even though I do, in fact, make significantly more than that. Mostly for the above reasons ranger mentioned, money is money. $10/hr is a pretty decent wage too. It's more than my wife makes at either of her 2 jobs.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Madbomber - Thanks for offering to help INGOers! Loved your reply to the first few Snarks.

I read threads where people say they have no extra money for preps, or to build their battery, etc. Well, folks - here it is. If you work 25 hours per week for 4 weeks after your 9-5, it won;t kill you and you will have an extra $1K minus taxes for your effort. I am sure you will find some INGOers happy to take the job if they live close.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Interesting that a BS/BA is a prerequisite for what sounds like basic reading comprehension.

Agreed. If the job really requires a degree just to verify reading comprehension, a simple test could verify that, and increase the job pool.

In other words, he should hire me anyway :D

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Agreed. If the job really requires a degree just to verify reading comprehension, a simple test could verify that, and increase the job pool.

In other words, he should hire me anyway :D

Like I said before, my life would be a hell of a lot smoother if the job paid more and required a HS diploma or even an Associates Degree. Tonight I hired 17 people, three of which were retired teachers with Masters Degrees and double BA's. Oh well...just another day oppressing the masses I guess. :D

I sent you a PM too Roadie.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Like I said before, my life would be a hell of a lot smoother if the job paid more and required a HS diploma or even an Associates Degree. Tonight I hired 17 people, three of which were retired teachers with Masters Degrees and double BA's. Oh well...just another day oppressing the masses I guess. :D

I sent you a PM too Roadie.

Thanks my friend, MUCH appreciated!

I think most of us know that it isnt YOUR policy.

It's mind boggling the disparity in pay rates between companies. This one wants to pay $10/hr and demands a Bachelor's, while other jobs are paying $15 to $20/hr based on real knowledge and experience.

I see an ad constantly on Monster for a tech support job in Daleville that pays $8/hr.. :rolleyes:

I guess in the time we live in, it's an employers market, eh?

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I worked for this company for a little while one summer. It's not bad, especially if you just got out of school/have free time to kill during the summers.

Top Bottom