• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clayshoot07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2017
    North Central
    So, I got invited to go on a pheasant hunt this November. I asked for a list of what I needed to bring as this is my first trip out west to hunt. I was handed a list and was told I also needed a "coon sticker". I has to ask what was meant by that. A coon sticker is a sheath knife that is used to stab raccoons that attack the birds dogs. From what I understand the raccoons are the size of godzilla in South Dakota. So whats a good fixed blade sheath knife for under 100 bucks?

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Coon sticker? S&W 686 or Ruger GP 100 in .357. Never take a knife to a gun fight. As a kid, I went on a few coon hunts with my uncle and have seen how mean those critters can be. I would not want to try to use a knife on one unless I was skinning it.

But if you have to have a knife, I would opt for one with a 4" - 5" blade with a full tang. Gerber, Ka Bar, and Buck come to mind. If you budget is a bit more generous, ESEE is a great way to go. Just get one that can be used in a variety of ways, not just killing those masked bandits.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Coon sticker? S&W 686 or Ruger GP 100 in .357. Never take a knife to a gun fight. As a kid, I went on a few coon hunts with my uncle and have seen how mean those critters can be. I would not want to try to use a knife on one unless I was skinning it.

But if you have to have a knife, I would opt for one with a 4" - 5" blade with a full tang. Gerber, Ka Bar, and Buck come to mind. If you budget is a bit more generous, ESEE is a great way to go. Just get one that can be used in a variety of ways, not just killing those masked bandits.
    I gotta agree with this, those things have a hell of a temper, I wouldn’t want my hand that close… because if they’re mad enough to go for the dog they’re mad enough to go for you.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    So, I got invited to go on a pheasant hunt this November. I asked for a list of what I needed to bring as this is my first trip out west to hunt. I was handed a list and was told I also needed a "coon sticker". I has to ask what was meant by that. A coon sticker is a sheath knife that is used to stab raccoons that attack the birds dogs. From what I understand the raccoons are the size of godzilla in South Dakota. So whats a good fixed blade sheath knife for under 100 bucks?
    Honestly, if really talking about dealing with a racoon that goes after the dogs, I'd let the dog owner/guide or whomever deal with it. The last thing you want to do is accidently shoot someone's favorite dog in the scrum.

However, they probably weren't expecting you to dispatch raccoons. They are recommending a sturdy sheath knife for the field, and that's what they call it.

If you want to go classic:
    Buck fixed blade (105, 119, etc.) - available at local stores (Sporting Goods, Hardware, or probably Walmart)
    KaBar - cant go wrong here.

If not:
    Cold Steel SRK or Recon - solid blade for a budget price (on sale at MidwayUSA now $45-$55)

Beyond a basic recommend, asking about knives is worse than asking about "best gun for home protection". So many on the market, different steels, handles, shapes, and sizes. If just for the trip, I don't think you'll go wrong unless you grab some $15 cheapo that will break or dull the first time you use it hard.

Enjoy the Trip!!

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I’ll carry a Mora 4” in the field as a knock about knife. Only costs like $20, so if I lose it don’t feel too bad. Comes sharp as he*l, holds an edge ok, and can be used to baton kindling. Googlefoo one to find a link.

My only downside is I had to make a leather sheath for it as the plastic one hurt my eyes but hey $20….
    Good luck stay safe

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Strong 2nd on the Cold Steel and Mora. I've used my Mora for everything from a kitchen knife to a fillet knife to a skinning knife. Could not ask for a better blade for basic all around use at that price point. And if you get the Mora with the orange sheath, better have sunglasses handy when wearing it. Also, be careful with it as well. 1st time I pulled mine out of the plastic sheath, I cut the h@ll out of my finger. But it was a very clean cut. :facepalm:

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you're worried about critters attacking you hire Will Smith as your personal body guard so he can just slap them leaving them stunned and confused.

Seriously though, I really like Esee knives for doing outdoors chores. I've field dressed a few deer with an Izulla 2 which is a great small, light and relatively cheap utility knife. I've cut steak lunch along a river with an Esee 3 which is just a smidge bigger than the Izulla 2. If I'm going to do some wood splitting I take my esee 4 for the extra blade length, but it's bigger and heavier too. More times than not though, an izulla 2 in whatever color you prefer is more than adequate for outdoor duty.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I think they're setting you up to go snipe hunting. Beware if they hand you the bag and tell you they're going to go drive them all your way.

There aren't a spate of coon attacks that I'm aware of anyway. I can say with 100% confidence that the dogs won't be running into coons during the day in food plots or any other pheasant habitat. At night, I assume they'll either be inside with you or kenneled.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

RACOONS USUALLY AREN'T OUT DURING THE HOURS YOU'D BE HUNTING PHEASENT. BUT 'WARE THE JACKALPOES!

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Maybe they are going to "baptize" you and your 1st hunt by making you clean all the birds? Izulla or Mora would be the way to go.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Maybe you should get something like a long handled pitch fork or even a big pole. There is no way I would get my hands close to a enraged coon. At least make sure your rabies shots are up to date.

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    Are you positive they're not messing with you? I lived in SD for 3 years and never heard of this issue. If they're serious I would want something cheap and with some length and a stabby blade, SMKW has a VZ42 clone for $30 bucks, the glock field knife would be a good options with a decent reputation. A frog or fish gigg would probably be better.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Are you positive they're not messing with you? I lived in SD for 3 years and never heard of this issue. If they're serious I would want something cheap and with some length and a stabby blade, SMKW has a VZ42 clone for $30 bucks, the glock field knife would be a good options with a decent reputation. A frog or fish gigg would probably be better.
    I second the Glock field knife except for using as a knife. I don't think the edge is that great. How about the Gerber Strongarm or a Buck 105 0r 119 (kinda on the big side).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom