• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Hey there guys. I'm thinking about purchasing a Taurus PT908. Since they've been out of production for quite some time, there aren't really any reviews on them.

Anyone here have one? Have some good/bad things to say about it? Would ya' like to do a review for me? :D

Really need as much info/feedback as possible, and I turn to the INGOers for just that. Thanks in advance for a helpin' a guy out. ;)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Taurus' in general tend to get some pretty negative reviews and sadly a lot of that is well deserved. Some shooters will purchase a Taurus-made gun and have years worth of trouble-free shooting and others will be a gun of the same make and model and have nothing but frustration; I know every gun manufacturer can let a few slip through the cracks but Taurus seems to be at the front of that line. For roughly the same price point a shooter can get themselves new Ruger's or CZ's that will be much more reliable and probably easier to find holsters and extra magazines for, too. Plus, customer service from Taurus is hit/miss, too. Taurus is currently charging my LGS all shipping fees even if the problem with the gun is 100% Taurus' fault. They have refused to pick up the shipping tab both coming and going and that can get expensive since I believe all firearms have to ship some sort of next day air or second day air type of shipping.

They do look good and some people have had tremendous luck with them but from what I've seen and personally experienced a few extra dollars more to get you into a Ruger or CZ or used Glock or Smith is probably the best way to go. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Taurus' in general tend to get some pretty negative reviews and sadly a lot of that is well deserved. Some shooters will purchase a Taurus-made gun and have years worth of trouble-free shooting and others will be a gun of the same make and model and have nothing but frustration; I know every gun manufacturer can let a few slip through the cracks but Taurus seems to be at the front of that line. For roughly the same price point a shooter can get themselves new Ruger's or CZ's that will be much more reliable and probably easier to find holsters and extra magazines for, too. Plus, customer service from Taurus is hit/miss, too. Taurus is currently charging my LGS all shipping fees even if the problem with the gun is 100% Taurus' fault. They have refused to pick up the shipping tab both coming and going and that can get expensive since I believe all firearms have to ship some sort of next day air or second day air type of shipping.

They do look good and some people have had tremendous luck with them but from what I've seen and personally experienced a few extra dollars more to get you into a Ruger or CZ or used Glock or Smith is probably the best way to go. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

Good advice, and I do understand some of what your saying. Considering this would be my first Taurus purchase, I didn't want to spend that much on it (as it certainly doesn't merit it anyhow). I heard their customer service was rocky, but nothing frustratingly difficult. Also, don't they have unconditional lifetime warranties? I've probably heard every rumor about Taurus, and no actual facts (easy to accomplish on the net).

Also its, funny that you mention CZ, as the P-01 was my first purchase in 9mm ;)

Last edited:

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Pass,

Get a Glock in 9MM, W German Sig, or HK.

Would have to pass on Glock. I appreciate what they are, and I'm not denying that they're reputation is outstanding, but with that being said, I can't get over the aesthetics. Sigs and HK's are great firearms but out of the price range in which I'm lookin'.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As usual, no-one has anything to say based on personal experience. Keep trying OP. I have a Taurus MilPro in .45 and it's been flawless for me. It's my EDC. Can't speak for the specific model you're asking for but Taurus is far from a bad firearm. They had issues in the past, (years ago), but today they're turning out decent, affordable handguns. The 908 dates back quite a way. Have you looked at some of their newer models? Or is this a price point choice?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Taurus 24/7 in .45 - Zero issues of any kind with probably 500ish rounds, (no exact count)
    Taurus M85 in .38 - Zero issues, bought in "well used" condition
    Taurus 738 TCP in .380 - Zero issues, and its a great little pocket-pistol
    Taurus 24/7 in 9mm (my fathers,) - Not shot a whole lot, but great so far.
    Taurus PT22 in .22 - Minor feeding issues, resolved with break-in. Its a subcompact .22, though, so I expected it to be picky.
    Taurus PT92 in 9mm (friends gun) - Probably a couple hundred at least through it, minor accuracy issues during break-in period; otherwise flawless.
    Taurus PT-140 in .40 (aunts gun) - Flawless so far. Low round count, but she likes it.

That's been my experience so far. From what I have heard, they weren't so great in the past; but in the past 5 or 6 years, I've had nothing but good luck out of them. The one thing I needed fixed was a grip issue, (dropped one, and the pearl grips cracked.) Shipped them in, (grips only, not the gun,) and they shipped back an identical pair. Took about...2 weeks total? Not bad, in my opinion, for a bargain-priced gun; and I even admitted it was my fault.

Bottom line, make your own decision, and try to keep in mind how RECENT the advice you get is, in addition to whether or not its first-hand, second-hand, or otherwise.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Get one of the variations of the CZ-75. It is one of the best 9mm out there bar none and the price is amazingly low. I have owned over 8 different CZ's and wish I had them all but currently have a P01 and love it!

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    As usual, no-one has anything to say based on personal experience. Keep trying OP. I have a Taurus MilPro in .45 and it's been flawless for me. It's my EDC. Can't speak for the specific model you're asking for but Taurus is far from a bad firearm. They had issues in the past, (years ago), but today they're turning out decent, affordable handguns. The 908 dates back quite a way. Have you looked at some of their newer models? Or is this a price point choice?

More of a price point choice, and it won't be used as an EDC, but that's irrelevant. I really was just looking for an unbiased (or as close to it as possible) review. I was ready for the negative aspect, I mean, so be it. If the model has issues, it has issues. Honestly, everyone I speak to usually don't have negatives things to say. In any case, thanks for the post, really appreciate the kind words.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Taurus 24/7 in .45 - Zero issues of any kind with probably 500ish rounds, (no exact count)
    Taurus M85 in .38 - Zero issues, bought in "well used" condition
    Taurus 738 TCP in .380 - Zero issues, and its a great little pocket-pistol
    Taurus 24/7 in 9mm (my fathers,) - Not shot a whole lot, but great so far.
    Taurus PT22 in .22 - Minor feeding issues, resolved with break-in. Its a subcompact .22, though, so I expected it to be picky.
    Taurus PT92 in 9mm (friends gun) - Probably a couple hundred at least through it, minor accuracy issues during break-in period; otherwise flawless.
    Taurus PT-140 in .40 (aunts gun) - Flawless so far. Low round count, but she likes it.

That's been my experience so far. From what I have heard, they weren't so great in the past; but in the past 5 or 6 years, I've had nothing but good luck out of them. The one thing I needed fixed was a grip issue, (dropped one, and the pearl grips cracked.) Shipped them in, (grips only, not the gun,) and they shipped back an identical pair. Took about...2 weeks total? Not bad, in my opinion, for a bargain-priced gun; and I even admitted it was my fault.

Bottom line, make your own decision, and try to keep in mind how RECENT the advice you get is, in addition to whether or not its first-hand, second-hand, or otherwise.

Pretty decent collection ya' got goin on! Looks like it comes down to just that, if I buy and I make a mistake, at least it's a learning experience. I'd hate to ruin the chance of me actually whole heartedly liking Taurus with a gun that's been out of production sine '97 though.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but my 'review' is based on personal experience and with current Taurus models. I always give them a chance when it's time to buy a new pistol and I gave several models a shot when I wanted something other than a Glock; I ended up with the M&P9 over everything else.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Look, I'm not trying to be an a$$ but, if you post in this thread, saying nothing pertaining to the TOPIC at hand...then why post?

Thanks for all the "get a _____" responses, that was totally what this thread was all about. :rolleyes:

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I currently own a Taurus PT908 ported. I purchased it second hand and have no clue as to the round count. But, I have never had an issue with shooting it. It is a little difficult in finding a holster for it, but not impossible.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I currently own a Taurus PT908 ported. I purchased it second hand and have no clue as to the round count. But, I have never had an issue with shooting it. It is a little difficult in finding a holster for it, but not impossible.

Wow, actual first-hand experience! Never had a problem with limp wristing, FTF, FTE?

How is the finish holding up? Do you ever carry it?

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    And what would be your experience with Taurus?

Two local gunshops constantly state that the guns have issues, they further state that Taurus has horrible customer service.

I have been in the shops multiple times when people bring in these problemed garbage guns.

Top Bottom