• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Any recommendations on a roofing contractor? It's time to put a new roof on the house and I need to look at options. I am considering a metal roof (probably standing seam), but would like to get some prices for both a metal and asphalt shingle roof. I need a good contractor that someone has first hand experience with. It probably does not need a tear off as this will be a re-roof over a single layer of asphalt shingles. The roof is a little difficult to access. The house is two stories on front and back and 3 stories plus gable on the sides.

Before everyone chimes in and says do it yourself, it's easy, you'll save money, etc,...., that ain't happening. I don't have time.

Dirty Steve

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If you do shingles let me know and I will get you an estimate. I am not really that into putting metal on a house with much flashing or valleys.....it just causes me headaches and gets expensive to properly flash it. You would be looking at 1.5-2 times the cost of shingles.

I would recommend tearing it off. There is nothing worse than stacking layers on a roof. I can give you 4-5 reasons why you should tear off but won't go into detail unless you want me to. It's not that expensive to tear off, new shingles will last longer, you can replace/repair flashing, you are not doubling the weight on roof structure, you can inspect decking for rot, re-sell value will be greater....and you get that for 15-20% of cost of replacing.

Have you had your roof inspected for hail damage? There have been quite a few storms that way over the years....

If you want to pm or email me your address.....I will do a roof scan and get you a ballpark cost on replacing with lifetime shingle. Randy@chcroofing.com

Thanks,
    Randy

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was told by a roofing contractor there are two types of metal roofs; commercial roofs that are very, very expensive and residential roofs that always leak. I think he said the residential roofs have screws that go through the metal. If the screws are not put in with EXACTLY the right torque, the gaskets will leak. As there are probably a thousand screws in the roof, the odds that all of them are perfect is close to zero. Thus, the food will leak. I would recommend lifetime shingles.

Top Bottom