• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Looking for a scope for my Saiga AK that will do me good at 100yds. Don't need a fancy name, just something that can give me pretty good groups. I was thinking 4x, but maybe higher. Any suggestions please give me a hand. Budget for this item is $100 or less, less is better, lol!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Why 100 yards? For that distance you hardly need a scope. If your budget is $100.00 for the scope does that include a good way to mount it? Someone else will have to chime in on whether you can get one that cheap that will hold up. I remain dubious.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Why 100 yards? For that distance you hardly need a scope. If your budget is $100.00 for the scope does that include a good way to mount it? Someone else will have to chime in on whether you can get one that cheap that will hold up. I remain dubious.

I can hit 100yds with iron sights, but just want something to shoot tighter groups. It is an ak, so I don't expect to hit a penny at 300yds. The farthest I would shoot it would probably be 150-200yds. I have a quad rail, so mounting is not an issue, the $100 would be dedicated to the scope, not rings or anything, purely the cost of the optic.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

i dont carry anything or have i seen anything south of 100 bucks i would trust enough to recomend in a couple months ill carry one IF it passes my tests. i wont carry a optic i dont trust enough to put on my rifle.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    i dont carry anything or have i seen anything south of 100 bucks i would trust enough to recomend in a couple months ill carry one IF it passes my tests. i wont carry a optic i dont trust enough to put on my rifle.

Trust me, in a SHTF situation, it will be all irons!! I want an optic just for range time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Trust me, in a SHTF situation, it will be all irons!! I want an optic just for range time.

i understand completly, but personally i cant deal with a scope i can trust. i get flusterated and waste alot of ammo (not cheap) and time by dealing with scopes that dont function as they should. if i make a 1/4 moa click the bullet needs to move 1/4 moa not 1/2, not 1/8th. i spend to much time behind my scope dealing with bad clarity giving me a headache. if you lay behind a cheapo scope observing for 5 minutes straight you will have a headache. i dont base my optics choice on shtf scenerios. i base it on the process of elemination. if i miss i dont want to say "mabye its the rifle, mabye its the scope, mabye its the rings, mabye its the base, mabye its the ammo" i want to say "I missed"

im not saying you need to spend a fortune but 100 bucks in a scope will give you the problems mentioned above. feel free to take my advise and throw it away, quote it and say i dont know what im talking about whatever you want. but i have been there and i have bought cheap scopes and i have learned my lesson. im trying to help others not make the same expensive mistakes i have made in the past.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have been looking at AK optics. I have been looking at TWS dustcovers and ultimak front end scope mounts as platforms for the optics.

So far, I think I have decided on big dot tritium night sights, lol.

What size of targets are you looking to hit at 100 yards?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    imo for your use i would look into a primary arms red dot. it is less than 100 bucks but it may not do any more than your irons with out a magnifier and the magnifier goes over your budget

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    i understand completly, but personally i cant deal with a scope i can trust. i get flusterated and waste alot of ammo (not cheap) and time by dealing with scopes that dont function as they should. if i make a 1/4 moa click the bullet needs to move 1/4 moa not 1/2, not 1/8th. i spend to much time behind my scope dealing with bad clarity giving me a headache. if you lay behind a cheapo scope observing for 5 minutes straight you will have a headache. i dont base my optics choice on shtf scenerios. i base it on the process of elemination. if i miss i dont want to say "mabye its the rifle, mabye its the scope, mabye its the rings, mabye its the base, mabye its the ammo" i want to say "I missed"

im not saying you need to spend a fortune but 100 bucks in a scope will give you the problems mentioned above. feel free to take my advise and throw it away, quote it and say i dont know what im talking about whatever you want. but i have been there and i have bought cheap scopes and i have learned my lesson. im trying to help others not make the same expensive mistakes i have made in the past.

I agree with you completely, however I just don't want to spend a lot of money on a scope for plinking purposes. I would really like a good scope, but would rather spend money on stockpiling ammo. That being said, it sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it too, lol!

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I have been looking at AK optics. I have been looking at TWS dustcovers and ultimak front end scope mounts as platforms for the optics.

So far, I think I have decided on big dot tritium night sights, lol.

What size of targets are you looking to hit at 100 yards?

About a 3" diameter, I am not a pro, just shooting for fun.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    imo for your use i would look into a primary arms red dot. it is less than 100 bucks but it may not do any more than your irons with out a magnifier and the magnifier goes over your budget

:yesway: this is what I did. It works wonderfully and didn't break the bank. I am also using a QD AK mount so removal of or putting on the red dot is very fast. It holds zero perfectly but at 100 yards the dot might cover your target. Oh and at least with my step the sights DO NOT cowitness, hence the QD mount.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Got a TWS (Texas Weapons Systems) mount that attaches at the rear iron-sight pivot and an EOTech holographic sight. Love it! Just say'n.:rockwoot:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Got a TWS (Texas Weapons Systems) mount that attaches at the rear iron-sight pivot and an EOTech holographic sight. Love it! Just say'n.:rockwoot:

Do you feel like the eotech is "high"? what kind of stock do you use?

I was thinking about a tws cover and an eotech, but came to believe that the eotech raises too high off the AK to use with a good cheek weld.

I really like the reticles on the eotechs

Top Bottom