• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I am looking to get a single point sling, a gun case, and a cleaning kit for my AR15 that I built over the summer. I want the case to be a soft case... I like the palmetto state armory ones, but they are always out of stock (I also like the fact they are $130ish and come with 6 30rd pmags)... and I want a full cleaning and lubricant kit for my AR15.. I am a college student on a budget and am looking to buy online. Any recommendations?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Roger the budget issue. Is there some reason you want a single pt sling? I find 2 pt slings to be much more useful. They are not cheap, but I prefer either the blue force vickers or the magpul. I like the 2pt because you can throw it on your back if you need to and because the muzzle hangs nearly straight down and I like the default position as such. Good luck sorting it out!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Roger the budget issue. Is there some reason you want a single pt sling? I find 2 pt slings to be much more useful. They are not cheap, but I prefer either the blue force vickers or the magpul. I like the 2pt because you can throw it on your back if you need to and because the muzzle hangs nearly straight down and I like the default position as such. Good luck sorting it out!

Agreed. The Viking tactics one is very good as well.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy

You are missing the main point of a 2point sling, stability.

Single points are handy in situations where you will likely be transitioning to a pistol and will need to do it rapidly.

2 point slings do a much better job at keeping the rifle at the ready for quickly bringing gun up, and for providing a stable shooting platform.

Get a 2 point and learn to use it properly.

for budget tactical tailor and troy make some great stuff, or for super budget go build one yourself.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Single points are handy in situations where you will likely be transitioning to a pistol and will need to do it rapidly.

I actually prefer a 2 pt for transitions, also. much more control over how the gun hangs. While the gun is hanging and you are moving/shooting w/ the pistol it seems much less likely to tag you in the balls or smack your knee cap, etc. I have vtacs on about all of my long guns.

The advantage I've found for a single point is in transitioning to WH... but w/ a combination of technique and proper setup (so it doesn't choke you out), a 2pt works just about as well...

For cleaning, you don't need much. some hoppes to get rid of powder residue, some mobile 1 synthetic motor oil to lube, Q-tips + old rags or paper towels gets most of the job done. A good 1-pc cleaning rod (coated, to protect the bore/crown) and jag is where you want to spend your $... that along with some patches, and the "star" swabs for getting into the barrel extension will take care of the barrel. Most "kits" are overpriced and contain stuff you don't need.

I also like a fix-handle short rod and chamber brush for the chamber and barrel extension cleaning.

of course, that's for if/when I clean mine...... which doesn't happen very often. a dirty gun is a happy gun. ;)

-rvb

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    You are missing the main point of a 2point sling, stability.

2 point slings do a much better job at keeping the rifle at the ready for quickly bringing gun up, and for providing a stable shooting platform.

Get a 2 point and learn to use it properly.

for budget tactical tailor and troy make some great stuff, or for super budget go build one yourself.

Except for the muzzle down issue I haven't noticed increased stability in a two point sling in tactical use. Talk about slinging into a fixed position, then yes. Hands down. As has been mentioned transition to pistol is much better with a two point since you can quickly throw the sling to your side and the muzzle points down--a single point stays all up in your space and the muzzle direction is less reliable once you've let go of it.

Top Bottom