• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I am completely new to knives..other than gutting a deer or filleting a fish. At my current work there is a no firearms policy, (its locked in my car;)) so I am looking for a good defensive knife. I am not looking for a Ka-Bar style knife but a good EDC knife. Something I could tuck in the belt or on my boot. Like I said completely newb and wanted to know some of your setups and any advice/tips for them.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Talk to Bradknives, knifelady, and Tyler34 they are the three best knife people on here. Sorry QUE. Then buy form brad if you want a folder or knifelady if you want a fixed blade.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have the TDI ankle knife in stock. It is a nice knife. I also think you should consider the ESEE Izula or even the ESEE 3 or even a TOPS knife. If I knew your price range that would help. But I definitely think staying with a fixed blade for self protection and a useful tool is the best option. The sting is an ok knife but for the money and the warranty I would go with an Izula it is a better deal all the way.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have the TDI ankle knife in stock. It is a nice knife. I also think you should consider the ESEE Izula or even the ESEE 3 or even a TOPS knife. If I knew your price range that would help. But I definitely think staying with a fixed blade for self protection and a useful tool is the best option.

I was liking the handle of the TDI it just seems it would fit my hand better and give me a "sure" grip. The Izula series is nice but the handle is just so slim I'm not sure about the grip issue.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    The Izula handle too slim? :dunno: I have the handles to go on them or look at the IzulaII which comes with handles . Your decision. Just throwing some ideas out there.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be hitting a few stores to check them out and see whats comfortable. I figure if you cant get a good grip on a knife theres no use in having it.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Most employers that have a "no weapons" policy usually includes knives. Just to be safe, get a copy of the employee manual and read it carefully. Don't ask anyone, just read it for your own protection. Policies exist to fire people but they usually say it's to protect others in this case. How backwards.

Either way, if you wear boots that extend well above the ankle, go with a boot knife. A leather boot that does not have a pad at the top also works better if you just want to use the clip. A thin boot knife can even be worn on the inside. You can get use to it unless you walk a lot.

Make sure it is secure regardless. Some even use a Chicago Screw to mount the sheath to the boot. A boot knife will become like wearing a firearm. You will forget it's there until you need it. If you need a boot knife, it's probably too late talk your way out of it.

Evade first then deploy !

If I could devise a secure way to mount a boot knife upside down, this would make for better deployment. No luck so far.

Deployment/access is the main drawback. It's for deep cover/last resort.

This is my last boot knife used. Now I keep it hand in my vehicle but use it in the boot on the bike.

Knife Outlet - TOPS SS07 Street Scalpel

It's odd by some standards but I like that it's a chunk of metal like a shiv/shank street weapon. The edge is okay but it's designed for stabbing. If needed, you could probably cut through a trunk lid if by some chance you were tossed in a trunk. :D

It could be about an inch longer though. I braided a 2" cord on it for feel, etc.

Check out Tops Knives anyway. They are a bit more pricey than some but it's worth a look at some of their designs.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Cold Steel AK47 or Recon1 folders ($60ish)
    Zero Tolerance 300 or 350 ($110ish)
    Kershaw skyline ($35 @ walmart)
    Spyderco Endura w/ EmersonWave
    Spyderco Delica (little smaller than Endura)

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    if its strictly for self defense a fixed blade is your best option imo. mercop runs a lot of training and posts the video, the folks who don't have a lot of training and grab there folders while in stressed situations tend to not get them opened and in use. so if you haven't had a good amount of training stay away from folder for purely self defense. the kbar tdi is something a good amount of folks use and its a decent knife for the price. you don't have to go for a boot knife just because. you can get a much bigger knife and run it in a IWB sheath, just like you do for you guns and the knife will literally disappear. it will only have on band on it vs the 2 bands on the holster so that makes it even less noticeable and we have even gone as far as to make them w/ tuck-able loops so you can still tuck your shirt in no problem and no one is the wiser ( well at least not the sheeple and non gun/knife folks)

the tops shiv is a good little knife and anything from esee is also. Knife Lady is site sponsor and is a dealer for esee and tops. she has great prices and you would be supporting a local business, (she is also just a plain cool lady to speak with)

Top Bottom