• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    New to trapping. I've got some old rusty body traps laying around that i want to use for my increasing muskrat problem. I've read about soaking in vinegar. Should i paint them, dye them? Just looking for advice on what to do to get them set ready. I'm sure some of you have experience with this. Please dont lecture me on muskrats being out of season as these damn rats are causing obvious damage to my pond. I've kept them in check in the past with a 22 but they are awful this year. Any advice would be appreciated.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    i dip em will make them last longer and close faster no need to worry about scent. just sold some rats the other day for 13.25.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Boil them and dip them is all I used to do. Can't remember what we dipped them in, but someone will be along shortly to provide the info or a link to it.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Co worker suggested boiling them with walnuts. Will probably do that. Can't hurt right? I'm looking for some detailed advice if ya got it.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Co worker suggested boiling them with walnuts. Will probably do that. Can't hurt right? I'm looking for some detailed advice if ya got it.

We did that for years. Darkens the metal and protects it. Kills any human scent. We pulled them out with rubber gloves on, never touched them with bare hands. Probably not necessary with rat traps under water, but Fox and anything on land will catch your scent with out them.

Some people used to melt wax and pull the trap through the wax to give a coating, but never saw the need. Walnuts, water, and a half 55 gal barrel with a good fire will do it. The walnuts, especially the skins will be a good stain!! They stain the road when hit in the fall, will do the same to traps.

It was our fall ritual before heading to the woods, and 30 years later the traps are good as new. Some good memories there with Dad and brother. It took awhile to get the water at a boil but we just let it roll once it did.

Wire brush them the best you can and boil them good, and they be good to go. Caught lots of rats years ago. A few Mink as well.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Thanks for all the advice! Looks like most of what i read about descenting applied mostly to foothold traps on land. I will try the walnut method and take care not to touch them with bare hands. That should do it. Thanks Bounty Hunter.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Get ahold of the good folks at Hoosier Trapper Supply outside of Greenwood. They will give you the best advice and they have everything you need.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    You want to use Rustoleum spray paint for bodygrippers or Speed Dip for footholds. You can purchase Speed Dip at Hoosier Trapper (317-881-3075). It mixes with Coleman fuel or gasoline.
    Build a simple electrolysis tank to derust if they are bad, otherwise you can ignore the rust. Dip outside when the temperatures are above 80 degrees.
    Muskrats do not care about human scent and are very easy to catch.

Top Bottom