• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have three guns and was invited to try out 3 Gun competition. What kind of rig, if any, do you need for three gun? Battle belt, just a couple of spare mags on your normal belt? Is there time between rifle, pistol, and shottie to get mags or do you need to carry all at once?

I have a plate carrier with room for AR mags and pistol mags. Is this appropriate for 3 gun? I would appreciate any input or guidance!:ingo:

Last edited:

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I run an ar mag in my back pocket. 4 shell caddies, 1 pistol mag and my holster on my belt. You wont be going back to your gearbag during stages but you could change your setup between them.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    You need a way to carry 1-2 spare rifle mags. 2 pistol mags. 12-20 shotgun shells. Pistol. For major matches you may need to sling your rifle and or shotgun but I wouldn't worry about that stuff for a local match.

Be warned though. It's addictive!!

rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    Pretty much what these guys said. For club matches, I typically carry approximately 40-60 rounds of pistol ammo on me, depending on stage requirements. Typically, one mag in the pistol, and one or two on the belt should be more than enough.

For rifle, you shouldn't need more than two 30-round rifle mags for a stage. Back pockets are fine for rifle mags, and even with all the fancy kydex gear I have now days, I still just use my back pocket for my spare rifle mag a lot of the time.

Carrying enough shotgun ammo is a much greater challenge than the pistol and rifle ammo. Shotshell carriers are the most specialized pieces of gear needed for the game of 3-Gun. I would say that if you don't have gear like this, borrow it from a squadmate... this is a very friendly sport, and I'm yet to run into a 3-Gunner that wouldn't loan or share gear with a squadmate... especially a new shooter.

When getting started, the most important thing is that you... well, get started. Bring your guns, mags, ammo, eye and ear protection, and give it a whirl. You'll get a much better idea after you go to a match and see what it's all about.

RZ

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We all look dumb most of our life, dont sweat it. Just make sure all your guns will run 100-200 rounds without stopping( at least). Check check and double check zero and point of impact. Try to get out somewhere that you arent strapped to a bench shooting. Practice off hand, kneeling, sitting, prone with your rifle, strong hand weekhand only with pistol, shooting at 4" plates or index cards on bigger cardboard targets and shotgun loading.

Thats a pretty good list. Im gonna go get to work on it.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    looking dumb is fine, looking dumb while having fun is even better. so, your set up is not exactly what you want it to be. youll see a lot of different things used, see what might work for you, what you have that does and does not work and what you might do to change it. most importantly, come out, play, have fun.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Don't sweat it. Everybody on the range, even the best, had a first match at one point. We remember. If you ask for advice, you'll get it.
    Enjoy

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    there is a uspsa match this sunday at fort wayne rifles and revolvers club if you want to get a feel for it. I just did my first match yesterday at warsaw and all I can say is that it is addicting!

I am also interested in doing 3 gun but I want to see how I would manage with just dealing with a single firearm for now.

Top Bottom