• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Hello INGO, I know I have been awol for a while but I am back and in need of advice. I have been pursuing a job as a career firefighter and I just got a call for an in home interview. I know this is customary with police departments, but this is the first time I have heard of a fire department doing it. My questions is , how should I dress? I have been asking around with other firefighters and even the chief of my current department and I have been getting mixed reviews. Some say to go all out and wear a suit and tie, some say dress pants, a button down shirt and tie, and others have said just kahkis and a polo. I don't want to be over dressed and look awkward but I also don't want to look bad.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm not LEO or firefighter, but I've done a lot of freelance work and often have to work on site for clients with no prior knowledge of company dress codes.

My feeling is, better too be over dressed than under. Wear a suit and tie. Get your cues from the interviewer. If they show up in casual dress you can always take off the jacket a and tie after the initial introduction. Because it's your home you can quickly strip down to a more casual look very easily.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Hmmm ... in-home interview? I would go with the khakis and polo or button shirt without the tie.

It's more of what not to wear if it's in your own home. No jeans, no tank tops or t-shirts, no stains, avoid the well-worn look, no sandals, no same-day haircut, clean shaven if that is your look ... trimmed beard otherwise, check the body hair (nose and ears) and piercings. Pay attention to what's laying around (books, magazines, clutter, food, etc.) and smells (food and pets). Make sure the pets will be under control. You get the picture. Good luck.

Let's see what others have to say ... ???

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Come on guys, a suit? To interview for a firefighter position?
    I think as long as you have clothes on, you'll be fine. Something better than torn jeans and a wife beater, and you should be gtg.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I echo MCgrease. If you don't know, overdress. What is the reasoning behind the "in-home" interview? Ensuring the candidate does in fact live within the district they are applying to? Clean and clutter free environment would be good as well. And believe it or not, baked chocolate chip cookies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I never had an in-home visit. I was living on the westside with my brother soooo maybe I am lucky that no one saw the overturned milk crates as furniture and the ancient Chinese food in the frig!:D

Coat and tie. Shine on your shoes. Trim eyebrows, pluck the ear hair, shave twice.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Go all out, You will more than likely be creating an impression w/ the people that show up, and if its the fire department showing up they will more than likely be showing up in their dress uniform as that is what they frequently where during hiring interviews regardless of the location. It will say more that you cared enough to go all out than assumed that because its your home you could relax the dress code a little.

My vote: DEFINATLY a suit and tie.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I think I'm going to go all out with a suit and tie. If it's too much I will just lose the jacket. I have a feeling I will be over dressed, but that's better than underdressed.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Go all out, You will more than likely be creating an impression w/ the people that show up, and if its the fire department showing up they will more than likely be showing up in their dress uniform as that is what they frequently where during hiring interviews regardless of the location. It will say more that you cared enough to go all out than assumed that because its your home you could relax the dress code a little.

My vote: DEFINATLY a suit and tie.
    Make it 2 votes.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Make sure you zip up. I was well dressed for an interview but went to the bathroom before, walked in with the mule outta the barn. Nailed the interview and got an offer for a 2nd interview over dinner. I had to decline but he seemed like a really nice guy.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Just be yourself and wear what you generally wear. I have unfortunately been detailed for home interviews for new hires. Someone wearing a suit for an in home chat isn't going to make me think anymore of them.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    Come on guys, a suit? To interview for a firefighter position?
    I think as long as you have clothes on, you'll be fine. Something better than torn jeans and a wife beater, and you should be gtg.

Apparently you've never experienced how competitive the process for a career firefighter spot is? It's a bit different than applying for your local volunteer fire department. The last prcoess I saw, there were almost 400 applicants for 10 spots.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    My department is hiring right now. We have never done home interviews. Many years ago, I wore a suit to my interview. I have told my son and all the others I know in our process to wear one also. There were initially over 600 applicants going for 15 positions. If you have to beat out 97.5% of the competition, is it NOT in your best interest to do all you can to help your odds? I hate suits. I hate wearing a dress uniform over a functional, comfortable one. I bet they know you don't sit around your own house in a suit. That said, I would wear a suit for an hour to have a shot at wearing UNIFORM for a career.:twocents:
    :patriot:
    Good Luck
    :cheers:

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm not in public safety, but this is my thought on a job interviews in general. If I want a job, I should act like I want it. If I can't be bothered to make the best possible first impression, and dress accordingly, I'm probably not that interested in actually getting the job.

For me the absolute minimum is khakis, button up shirt, and a tie.

Good luck!

Top Bottom