• ...and so much more!
  • BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    I just got my first rifle - a Marlin 795 & I want to put a scope on it. Primary use will be target shooting - mostly 50 to 100 yds. I like the idea of a red dot because of it's compactness, but accuracy is more important than size. So, my questions are - which tends to be more accurate, a red dot or a regular scope, and what are some good scopes in either style that won't cost more than the gun did?

Thanx

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    a regular scope is usually more accurate. acutally to scope is no more accurate but you are since you have a little zoom. how much did the scope cost? if 50-100yds is what you are shooting you wont need to spend a ton or have alot of zoom

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    the walmart near me has cheap tasco scopes for around $17 for a 4x zoom and like $37ish for a 3-9x i believe. the 4x should be more than enough, and tasco is a known optics brand so it won't be complete crap. plus the 795 doesn't kick anywhere close enough to knock the scope around.

you might just need to buy adapting mounts since i think the tasco has the bigger mounts for a normal rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the walmart near me has cheap tasco scopes for around $17 for a 4x zoom and like $37ish for a 3-9x i believe. the 4x should be more than enough, and tasco is a known optics brand so it won't be complete crap. plus the 795 doesn't kick anywhere close enough to knock the scope around.

you might just need to buy adapting mounts since i think the tasco has the bigger mounts for a normal rifle.

ya but the bad thing is what tasco is know for.

imo there is no scope under 70 bucks on the market worth mounting. @ 17 dollars your rings actually cost more than the scope:dunno:.

do yourself a favor and minuimum get a bushnell banner, simmons 8 point type scope. avoid nc star, tasco and a couple others at all costs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    BSA Optics makes good quality inexpensive scopes.

I have a BSA 3x-9x 40mm scope on my 10/22. It's been great for target shooting and the lower power has been good for hunting.

1022002.jpg

http://s777.photobucket.com/albums/...ionnusRattis/?action=view&current=1022002.jpg

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    ya but the bad thing is what tasco is know for.

imo there is no scope under 70 bucks on the market worth mounting. @ 17 dollars your rings actually cost more than the scope:dunno:.

do yourself a favor and minuimum get a bushnell banner, simmons 8 point type scope. avoid nc star, tasco and a couple others at all costs

were talking 50-100yd .22 shooting tho. the only possible way the scope can be damaged is if the OP drops it.
    i don't see the point of spending $70 on a scope for a plinker. that seems ridiculous to me. while tasco may not be a great scope, again, it's for a .22 plinker. i have a 795 and that scope is more than good enough for it. i would never spend more than $50 on a scope for my .22. it's just not financially and functionally logical to me.

now my Remington 700 however when i decide to upgrade, will get the best i can afford.

to me its functionality over price. if a $17 4x will do the same as a Bushnell 4x for probably half the price, there is no way im goin to pay more.

and remember its Walmart so that scope is probably more in the $40 range anywhere else. but again it doesn't matter its a basic run of the mill 4x scope which will be more than good enough for a 795. :twocents:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm with 42769vette on this one. If you want quality and something on the less expensive side look at the Simmons line. I would avoid Tasco and BSA. The are CHEAP and inexpensive! Your priority with an optic should be at this level, hold zero and glass quality. Nikon, Bushnell are both good thoughts too.

This Simmons has a 40mm objective which will let plenty of light in for good vision. and a fairly good adjustable zoom. Plus won't break the bank.

Simmons ProSport 3-9x40 Matte Rifle Scope 510481 NEW - eBay (item 230557666241 end time Dec-30-10 17:52:43 PST)

HTH RNM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I'm with 42769vette on this one. If you want quality and something on the less expensive side look at the Simmons line. I would avoid Tasco and BSA. The are CHEAP and inexpensive! Your priority with an optic should be at this level, hold zero and glass quality. Nikon, Bushnell are both good thoughts too.

This Simmons has a 40mm objective which will let plenty of light in for good vision. and a fairly good adjustable zoom. Plus won't break the bank.

Simmons ProSport 3-9x40 Matte Rifle Scope 510481 NEW - eBay (item 230557666241 end time Dec-30-10 17:52:43 PST)

HTH RNM

Beg to differ...Haven't had any problems with my BSA scope on my .22lr...I would avoid a Simmons

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    can't hit what you can't see

Buy the best you can afford. They don't go bad usually, the best you can afford will probably have a lifetime warranty, you'll never regret buying good quality, it's no worry's moving it to a centerfire if you have the need, and $200 difference in a scope will make a world of difference in glass quality. Nikon is usually, for the money spent, very good glass. Used Leupolds, refurbed nikons and Bushnells (3200 and 4200 series) are usually available at reasonable prices. Don't short change yourself by buying cheap junk. :twocents:
    If somebody GAVE me a Simmons or a Barska/ NC-star I'd have to tape a quarter to it b4 I gave it away so the next guy wouldn't have a total loss on the deal.:rolleyes:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Buy the best you can afford. They don't go bad usually, the best you can afford will probably have a lifetime warranty, you'll never regret buying good quality, it's no worry's moving it to a centerfire if you have the need, and $200 difference in a scope will make a world of difference in glass quality. Nikon is usually, for the money spent, very good glass. Used Leupolds, refurbed nikons and Bushnells (3200 and 4200 series) are usually available at reasonable prices. Don't short change yourself by buying cheap junk. :twocents:
    If somebody GAVE me a Simmons or a Barska/ NC-star I'd have to tape a quarter to it b4 I gave it away so the next guy wouldn't have a total loss on the deal.:rolleyes:

....that would be within reason of course. Why put a $200 scope on a $150 rifle? That would be analogus to putting a Corvette engine into your Cobalt. Unless you are switching out parts and making it a high end .22lr target gun, a Nikon scope or other higher end scope would be overkill.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I just got my first rifle - a Marlin 795 & I want to put a scope on it. Primary use will be target shooting - mostly 50 to 100 yds. I like the idea of a red dot because of it's compactness, but accuracy is more important than size. So, my questions are - which tends to be more accurate, a red dot or a regular scope, and what are some good scopes in either style that won't cost more than the gun did?

Thanx

First congratulations on getting your first rifle! All firearms have their place, but rifles hold a special place in my heart. The rifle really is "the queen of personal weapons".

That said, I strongly advocate for getting a scope that has "crosshairs" over a red dot.

The red dots might very well be superior when you need quick target acquisition, but when shooting for accuracy, the red dot can cover and obscure the target area, preventing you from making a precise shot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure red dot reticles have their place, but if you have a 6moa red dot and you are trying to put holes in a 1" square at 25 yards, that's a 4moa target that will be totally covered by a 6moa red dot.

So, I vote that you get a scope with crosshairs on it. Regarding which type, shop around, hold some scopes up to your eye and check out the eye relief and see what you like. If you get a cheap scope and don't like it, join the club! If you get a more expensive scope and you decided that it's overkill for the rifle you have, you can always move that scope over to a bigger rifle when you get a bigger rifle (now that you have one rifle, it will get lonely and need friends).

Good luck on picking a scope and let us know how it goes! If you want some great cheap rifle marksmanship instruction, check us out at the Appleseed forum on this site.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you are looking for a good budget scope, than I would suggest the Bushnell Banner line. I have both a 3x9x40 on my 10/22 ($79). I also have a 4x12x40 on my Savage MKIIFV ($125). For the money they are a great optic. They are clear and they hold zero very well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    were talking 50-100yd .22 shooting tho. the only possible way the scope can be damaged is if the OP drops it.
    i don't see the point of spending $70 on a scope for a plinker. that seems ridiculous to me. while tasco may not be a great scope, again, it's for a .22 plinker. i have a 795 and that scope is more than good enough for it. i would never spend more than $50 on a scope for my .22. it's just not financially and functionally logical to me.

now my Remington 700 however when i decide to upgrade, will get the best i can afford.

to me its functionality over price. if a $17 4x will do the same as a Bushnell 4x for probably half the price, there is no way im goin to pay more.

and remember its Walmart so that scope is probably more in the $40 range anywhere else. but again it doesn't matter its a basic run of the mill 4x scope which will be more than good enough for a 795. :twocents:

here is the problem with 17 dollar scopes.

horible light transmintion
    horible clarity
    inaccurate adjustment
    horible durability

by the time you put a 17 dollar scope on and break the cheap wire crosshairs and yes even a 22 can break 17 dollar scope wires you have to go buy a new one and re sightin. cussing non stop because one time you adjust 1 moa and it moves 3 moa, and the next time you adjust 1/2 moa and it doesn't move at all.

now your on your second scope, god know how much ammo you are on range saying why didn't i spend a extra 50 bucks to aviod this.

im not saying buy a swarovski for a 22 im saying spend 70-80 bucks. if you cant do that you are probably better off with irons and saving till you can.

and no a 4x tasco will not do the same thing as a 4x bushnell. not even close.

when you upgrade from 1000 dollar optics to 1050 dollar optics there is little or no diffence. when you upgrade from 30 dollar optics to 80 dollar optics its a whole diffrent class of scope. this is not my opinion it is fact

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    here is the problem with 17 dollar scopes.

horible light transmintion
    horible clarity
    inaccurate adjustment
    horible durability

by the time you put a 17 dollar scope on and break the cheap wire crosshairs and yes even a 22 can break 17 dollar scope wires you have to go buy a new one and re sightin. cussing non stop because one time you adjust 1 moa and it moves 3 moa, and the next time you adjust 1/2 moa and it doesn't move at all.

now your on your second scope, god know how much ammo you are on range saying why didn't i spend a extra 50 bucks to aviod this.

im not saying buy a swarovski for a 22 im saying spend 70-80 bucks. if you cant do that you are probably better off with irons and saving till you can.

and no a 4x tasco will not do the same thing as a 4x bushnell. not even close. zoom is exactly the same. bushnell quality wins hands down, but same zoom = same function..

when you upgrade from 1000 dollar optics to 1050 dollar optics there is little or no diffence. when you upgrade from 30 dollar optics to 80 dollar optics its a whole diffrent class of scope. this is not my opinion it is fact

and thats why i actually run a red dot on my 795. oh and it is a $30 red dot and it happens to be an amazing quality dot for that price. the adjustments all work perfectly and hold, there is red AND green dot option and each has 5 different levels of brightness to cover all lighting conditions.

all of that functionality on a solid, well built $30 airsofting red dot.

will it do what a $150 (or whatever) red dot of the same style do? most likely because i don't know what more that red dot could possibly do. it has everything and more. will it be as solid? probably not but its a .22 and it holds so why spend more than $30? in that instance it is simply not logical to pay more.

i'd much rather get a scope that works and spend the rest on ammo so i can actually SHOOT the rifle.

if the OP finds a $20 scope that he is satisfied with and it works then why would he need to spend anymore?

like i said earlier, for me it's about functionality. :twocents:

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    buy once, cry once.

....that would be within reason of course. Why put a $200 scope on a $150 rifle? That would be analogus to putting a Corvette engine into your Cobalt. Unless you are switching out parts and making it a high end .22lr target gun, a Nikon scope or other higher end scope would be overkill.

Buy the best you can afford is advice that will not hurt you in the long run. Be it tools, guns, cars, or horses. Cheap almost always ends up costing just as much for twice the aggravation. If you only have 3 weeks to live, well thats a different story. I'll hand most of the stuff I've purchased down to my kids with many years of usable life left in it. And with value they can use if a sale is necessary.
    I stand by my advice. I cannot in good conscience advise you otherwise.

And as for overscoping my best job so far is an $1800 Swarovski on a $700 dollar Savage. I put the Swaro on a 10/22 when I bought it, just for fun.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    and thats why i actually run a red dot on my 795. oh and it is a $30 red dot and it happens to be an amazing quality dot for that price. the adjustments all work perfectly and hold, there is red AND green dot option and each has 5 different levels of brightness to cover all lighting conditions.

all of that functionality on a solid, well built $30 airsofting red dot.

will it do what a $150 (or whatever) red dot of the same style do? most likely because i don't know what more that red dot could possibly do. it has everything and more. will it be as solid? probably not but its a .22 and it holds so why spend more than $30? in that instance it is simply not logical to pay more.

I'd much rather get a scope that works and spend the rest on ammo so i can actually SHOOT the rifle.

if the OP finds a $20 scope that he is satisfied with and it works then why would he need to spend anymore?

like i said earlier, for me it's about functionality. :twocents:

Red dots have their place. They are better suited for quick target acquisition. A 1 MOA dot will cover an 8" target at 50 yards. At 100 yards it would be useless in my opinion. That's what adjustable powered scopes are better suited for. My :twocents:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Red dots have their place. They are better suited for quick target acquisition. A 1 MOA dot will cover an 8" target at 50 yards. At 100 yards it would be useless in my opinion. That's what adjustable powered scopes are better suited for. My :twocents:

.22 is a fun gun for me, hence the red dot. i shoot mostly 25 yards because i shoot many things while im at that distance. i shoot the .22 fast and just try to pepper out the bullseye. red dot puts em exactly where i want em.

my remington 700 is for longer ranges.

Last edited:

BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    Thanx to all for your responses. I've decided to roll the dice on a Simmons 22 Mag
    3-9X32. It had a high percentage of good reviews, I found it on sale & there's a rebate on 'em, so if it was a mistake, it won't be too costly.

Thanx, too, to The Bubba Effect for the tip on the Appleseed forum. It looks like I'll be spending a lot of time there.

Top Bottom