• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Im thinking of getting an AK-47 or something very similar and with so many variations and so many different importers i would like to get some feedback about quality and value. Which ones are most reliable? Which are the best quality? Stamped or milled? I appreciate the :twocents:

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    Asked the same question a couple of months ago

After weeks of research. Lots of chat stuff. I found that Arsenal Ak's are the cream of the crop. Bought one off of Glock talk.com and love it. I heard that Kalishnikov (sp) is supposed to be coming out with a second generation after the first of the year so you might want to wait. I love my Arsenal though.....My two cents

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    really, from what Ive seen, buy an AK in your price point and go with it. The way an AK is constructed just lends it self to being a 'goes bang everytime' kind of gun, almost reguardless of make/model. Even the WASR-10, which are typically regarded as cheap AKs seem to run well. So I guess that leads you to how much you want to spend and how nice do you want the rifle to look. I personally like Bulgarian, Russian, Yugo, and Chinese rifles so far, and own models of each.

If I were going to buy an AK47 *right now, today* I would head over to K-var and buy an Arsenal SGL-21 for $549, and call it a day. Sale ends tomorrow though ;)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I won't get into the true name of the fabled Automatic Kalashnikov, but with the rare exception of true papered full auto weapons, and not converted ones, you are not going to find a true AK.

OK, that said, to answer your question, as stated above, pick a price as a starting point. The true pre-Bush the First-ban rifles are selling for around $1000 and up.

The other thing is that of all the ATF approved, and then banned imports, only the SAR-1 was a true military issue rifle. All others were commercial rifles made for the American market. The cream of the crop were the Chinese Poly Technology rifles, with the Legend series being the closest thing to a true AK Type 3 in semi-auto you could buy. Milled receiver in either fixed or underfolding stocks are really superb weapons. The AKMs from Poly Tech (stamped receiver) were also some of the most sought after rifles, most with underfolding bayos.

Norincos were also great rifles. Great triggers and well constructed. Also nicely blued.

The Egyptian Maadis are fine rifles, made on Russian machinery in Egypt primarily for sale to those of us who shall not be infringed. The ARM version is probably the best of the post-Bush the First rifles. At the far end, the MISR S/A was a Century import, with the same trigger problems of other Century rifles of the date. Trigger mods or changes were required. Avoid the MISR 90, a half breed that should never have been sold.

Almost any of the Euro rifles are nice, some better than others. These days the AMD-65 is probably the best buy, with Aim Surplus selling them for $400. They are designed to be light weight for paratrooper work, and as such are a very minimal rifle, but with the fantastic muzzle break there is very little recoil. Many people don't like them because they can't weld their cheek to the stock, but I learned to shoot without welding my cheek to the stock, which sounds so painful, so it doesn't bother me. I have a couple, with one being my favorite AK shooter.

The Romanians made some low grade rifles but being AKs, most work reliably and I look at them as a blank canvas waiting the perfect artist touch to personalize them into your own personal one of a kind.

These days, thanks to import restrictions that ATF found as a way to thwart the second amendment, you will find many local builds. Some better than others. Those you will have to ask around about, but you will find all opinions on them from they are great to they are junk.

There are so many out there, the best thing to do is find one in a price range you like, and ask questions here or some other major firearm site. Usually by handling one, you can check to make sure the sight and gas blocks are on straight, a sticking point with the AK. Check fit and finish and wood color.

Good luck, finding that right AK variant might just lead you to being the owner of several. They are addictive.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    mac 90 is the best ak you can buy for the money. they are the highest quality parts and will still only cost $475-$600. there are other great ak's out there but they can get expensive also.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    yes, the ak47 is a great rifle, I bought several in the mid to late 80's from a dealer friend of mine, none for over 300 dollors, try that now days, a russian (don't recall modle, been in safe to long), a egyptian maddis, a chinese norinco ( they make a nice copy of m-14 also)Mak90, some of these I've seen for sale a cheap as the newer ones, I think they are all great rifles, plus Now you can get a choose of calipers 223, 308 or 7.62x39, you just about can't get hurt price wise?

Top Bottom