Need advice on performance exhaust system!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Car guys I need advice on the best exhaust systems for a 2016 Mustang GT. I realize best is very subjective but what I'm looking for is performance boost in most of all a deep loud exhaust tone. I would like to stay at a grand or less. I also would like to know of any places in the Indianapolis area that specializes in performance parts and provides great service. Thanks guys for your help!

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I would close this thread and don't come back to it.

There are tons of great Mustang forums with hundred, maybe thousands of threads on exhaust systems, not to mention hours of videos on YouTube.

INGO is a great place and all but not the due all...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Tagging for interest. I'd like to make my 12 GT louder. The 10 with the 4.6 sounded better, and the 5.0 has been a bit of a disappointment.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Exhaust is too personal of a thing. These are my personal opinions, nothing more. I like the SLP Loudmouh series. However, i wouldnt consider doing an exhaust that is only a partial replacement. Id be doing headers to tailpipes. I took a quick peaj at cat-back systems for your car and honestly, i think your budget is too low. A decent catback looks to be well over $1000.

Do the headers, cats, whole exhaust system. Throw a new air intake on it. Get it tuned on a dyno by someone who knows their business. Thatll be your best performance mod.

Here's my GTO with the Loudmouh system:
    View My Video

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County

There are tons of great Mustang forums with hundred, maybe thousands of threads on exhaust systems, not to mention hours of videos on YouTube.

I have looked at many sites and on you tube. I just wanted some opinions from some Ingoers....also as a part of my question i asked about local places....just trying to get local information from local people.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Headers and who needs mufflers? :dunno:

I've never been fond of the flowmaster drone at highway speeds, actually gave me a headache in a 4.7 Dakota once. I was never a huge magnaflow fan, I'm not much for a low deep sound, but our truck (Chevy 350) has a set on it and it sounds good at idle and screams at higher RPM, no drone. Got an uncle with a set of Pypes Violators behind a 383 Chevy, they are quiet at idle, but man they wake up and sound amazing at about 6500-7000 RPM, they do have a strange whistle at around 40mph. Best set of mufflers I've ever heard were edelbrocks behind a 462 Olds. When I can afford it, I'm going to try some Spintechs on my <<Grand Prix, have the most unique and cool sound, but I've not heard any in person that I'm aware of.

Every engine has a different sound. To me, the newer cars are too choked to sound good no matter what... I've not heard a newer v8 that sounds all that great...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't know what sound you are after but I don't think modern cars are going to produce the idle rumble of a 60s era V8. Cubes, high duration cam, headers and a good muffler all go into that old sound. My son's car doesn't sound anything like mine, it's good, but just not the same.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010

yea youtube sounds and look up specific feedback from each sustem.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't know what sound you are after but I don't think modern cars are going to produce the idle rumble of a 60s era V8. Cubes, high duration cam, headers and a good muffler all go into that old sound. My son's car doesn't sound anything like mine, it's good, but just not the same.

Usually I would agree. But I know of a guy in Bloomington who builds world-class Corvette resto-mods. I had the privilege of visiting his garage, and seeing 3 cars in various stages of completion, including one that was getting on the trailer to go to a customer.

This is one was a c2 body with a c5 engine, custom made chassis, custom wiring harness and engine maps, plus a whole lot more. That modern small block had a sound that was indistinguishable from a real c2 with a more radical cam and an aftermarket exhaust. Oh so nice.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I know you asked about places in indy but I would take the short drive up to Brenspeed. Most of the parts on my Mustang have come from them and they are a great company to work with.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Pardon me, just can't understand why one would pay money to get a loud vehicle and irritate everyone they pass by within 100 yards. How about an IPod playing it into your ears alone? Flame on, I can handle it.

Top Bottom