• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robgoody6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Greensburg
    I am planning to purchase a suppressor/silencer for a .22 pistol. I would like to know the pro and cons of purchasing a single vs. multi piece unit. Would you suggest purchasing a model that allows multiple calibers vs. one caliber.

:patriot:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    If you just want a silencer to plink around with, I suggest the Guardian22, or maybe even the B22 from Huntertown Arms. If you were to want something more heavy duty the Kestrel 22 is also very popular.

Huntertown Arms Guardian 22

• $199
    • 100% Aluminum
    • 22LR, 22 WMR, 17 HMR, 17 Mach2
    • 4 ounces

Huntertown Arms Kestrel 22

• $349
    • Stainless steel core, aluminum tube
    • Handles Guardian calibers AND is 5.7x28mm rated
    • 8 ounces

Robgoody6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Greensburg
    Thank you for your comment. My concern is if I buy a multi-caliber unit that will fit my .223, .22 Mag, & .22 do I give up some effectiveness on my .22 pistol? Yes I want it to plink with but I also have other lawful uses for it. I believe my local III dealer has a brand called Tactical International.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I see what you are saying, but running a 5.56 can on a 22 can be done, but is less than practical. Weight is your big compromise when you hop up to a centerfire silencer.

Many of our customers purchased Guardian 22 and Kestrel 556 silencers, now they are adding the Guardian 9 to their collections.

Huntertown Arms Kestrel 556

• $499
    • 100% stainless steel
    • 223 and lesser calibers
    • 19.5 ounces

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    two pennies

If you go do some research and watch the youtube videos out there you can learn a lot very quickly. Of course this forum will help as well and if you can go to HUSH or are lucky enough to get into NFA day those will be extremely beneficial learning experiences concerning not only suppressors but the process of owning.

If you're looking for a multi-cal can and are planning on using it for .22lr you NEED to make sure it can be completely disassembled so you can clean it out. .22lr is very dirty and putting it through a can of a caliber that many manufacturers don't send out with the ability to break down could cause you to have a bad day.

I am working on my first can right now, but I will end up with 3 and one will be a dedicated .22lr can, one a multi-cal rifle can, the other a multi-cal pistol can (even though I'll only probably use it on one gun), given the prices for .22lr cans, I'd highly recommend that you just get a dedicated one and use a different can as a multi-caliber. That's just my two cents based on all the research I've done over the past year since I decided I wanted to get into NFA items. My sources are this forum, youtube, manufacturers websites, HUSH Indiana, and my very lucky acceptance to attend NFA day.

(on a side note, I believe huntertown manufactures all of their supressors to be dissasembled for what it's worth, Harley should be able to confirm that for you as I'm not 100% but I'd still recommend a dedicated .22lr)

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    If you just want a silencer to plink around with, I suggest the Guardian22, or maybe even the B22 from Huntertown Arms. If you were to want something more heavy duty the Kestrel 22 is also very popular.

Huntertown Arms Guardian 22

• $199
    • 100% Aluminum
    • 22LR, 22 WMR, 17 HMR, 17 Mach2
    • 4 ounces

Huntertown Arms Kestrel 22

• $349
    • Stainless steel core, aluminum tube
    • Handles Guardian calibers AND is 5.7x28mm rated
    • 8 ounces

I see what you are saying, but running a 5.56 can on a 22 can be done, but is less than practical. Weight is your big compromise when you hop up to a centerfire silencer.

Many of our customers purchased Guardian 22 and Kestrel 556 silencers, now they are adding the Guardian 9 to their collections.

Huntertown Arms Kestrel 556

• $499
    • 100% stainless steel
    • 223 and lesser calibers
    • 19.5 ounces

CAN YOU GIVE ME THE INFO FOR A .308 CAN??? THANKS

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I read a lot of good/great reviews about the SWR Spectre 2, and I have been looking for one but so far no luck.

The Sparrow is rated pretty good too, but people complain of first round pop, especially on pistols.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    The Sparrow is rated pretty good too, but people complain of first round pop, especially on pistols.

People will complain about anything. You put 200 rounds through it and enjoy the crap out of it, complain about first round pop. Sounds like the epitome of a first world problem. I wonder if a louder first round pop ends up with a quicker decibel reduction because more of the O2 is burning off faster. I'm gonna look into this theory, there are some good side by side comparisons out there with the Sparrow.

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I am also looking to get my first suppressor. At the recent 1500 I picked up a Savage Mark II TR-SR. I was planning on purchasing a Kestrel 556 to use on the Savage and my AR15.

Does the slight difference in projectile diameter between a 22LR & 5.56 make a difference in the suppressor effectiveness or the velocity?
    Is there a difference in the suppression between a 22LR from a Kestrel 556 vs a Kestrel 22?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I am also looking to get my first suppressor. At the recent 1500 I picked up a Savage Mark II TR-SR. I was planning on purchasing a Kestrel 556 to use on the Savage and my AR15.

Does the light difference in projectile diameter between a 22LR & 5.56 make a difference in the suppressor effectiveness or the velocity?
    Is there a difference in the suppression between a 22LR from a Kestrel 556 vs a Kestrel 22?
    No, diameter of the bullet, length and the ID of the silencer determines effectiveness.

The K556 is a little different, but I think it's close enough you won't notice.

Top Bottom