• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    thinking about getting into the AK market and know very little about them. Been kind of looking around ran into a guy with a norinco (made in china) with what I would call a thumbhole stock. Is there different models made by norinco? What kind of price range in general? haven't posted much but enjoy reading all the posts on here.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    This could have been a mak-90, which have a solid rep in most circles. The thumbhole stock is equipped so the guns can be imported without changing other parts to meet 922(r) compliance. If you wish to move to the standard ak layout with a pistol grip, you'll need to worry about 922(r), and get your foreign part count down to 10 by swapping in American parts. Not a big deal to do, but you'll be risking a club fed trip without satisfying this regulation.

Was the guy with the norinco selling? If so, what was his price? It's been some months since I saw one of these on the private party market and I want to say the last time I did the guy was asking $500. Couldn't tell you if that's a fair price or not. Hopefully some other members can help.

Keep in mind, many ak purists will tell you if it's not Russian, it just ain't right. Hopefully this thread doesn't head in that direction.

lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    I read the threads enough to know im going to get a few smart a** remarks but there is a lot of knowledge here also. I know I am not supplying very much to go on. Just hoping I get enough info to have a general idea what I will be looking for. Thanks for your reply.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You were probably looking at a MAK-90 (modified AK 1990), basically they were modified to meet the requirements of the Bush admininstration.

They (chinese AKs) are typically regarded as some of the best AKs out there. They are available with out the thumbhole stock, but you are going to pay for it. Probably starting around $1000. They are more for the collector because they are "pre-ban". chinese are no longer importable after 94, so there are only so many.

A MAK90 will probably go somewhere around 600 -> 700 today.

The other option you will probably find a lot of is a WASR. Good rifle, just check the sights to make sure they aren't canted. A new copy should be 500 or less.

Yugo PAP rifles are also pretty good, and can be had cheaper. They are heavier in general, but factory built and good rifles.

lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    You were probably looking at a MAK-90 (modified AK 1990), basically they were modified to meet the requirements of the Bush admininstration.

They (chinese AKs) are typically regarded as some of the best AKs out there. They are available with out the thumbhole stock, but you are going to pay for it. Probably starting around $1000. They are more for the collector because they are "pre-ban". chinese are no longer importable after 94, so there are only so many.

A MAK90 will probably go somewhere around 600 -> 700 today.

The other option you will probably find a lot of is a WASR. Good rifle, just check the sights to make sure they aren't canted. A new copy should be 500 or less.

Yugo PAP rifles are also pretty good, and can be had cheaper. They are heavier in general, but factory built and good rifles.

Thanks for your information. BRADMEDIC i think he is going to sell it but i havent got a price out of him yet.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The Chinese Mac 90 is a great AK with a heavy gage metal used in the receiver, however in my opinion the thumbhole stock is a POS. I purchased an original Mac 90 a couple years ago for about $450, that was virtually unfired (still had cosmoline in a lot of places). I think the going price today is more in the $600 - $700 range. I ended up with a lot more in the gun because I made it 922R compliant and added a Russian Posp scope. (yeah I know - isn't a gun that can really benefit from the scope but my old eyes said it did).

By the time I installed the Ironwood Walnut furniture, Tapco trigger group, USA made piston and mag followers, some US made mags, Scope mount and scope, I ended up near $1500, but I really like the gun! Yeah, I kept all the original parts so if my heirs ever sell it it will retain most of its collector value, only changes to the gun that weren't reversible are the 2 small threaded holes in the receiver for the scope mount.

lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    okay i apperciate all the help. I have since found out it is a norinco NMH 91. so my next question for one in just okay condition what is the going price. Thanks for the help in advance. forgot to mention it had a bi pod on it and looked like a 30 round mag and a 10 round mag.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    NHM is just the RPK version. thicker barrel profile and 20" barrel. They aren't as desirable as a regular MAK90 to most people. IMO Pricing should be about the same as the MAK90, but people usually seem to ask more.

Top Bottom