• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I've heard really good things about the arsenals and their milled receivers, but $1200 for an AK clone just isn't going to happen for me even if I win the lottery. I have 2 CAI WASR 10s and am pleased with them both. A couple things to look out for when choosing a WASR are the front sight block, they are often canted, and the mag well, they are often ground out too big allowing the mag to "wobble". Handle many and find the one with a straight front sight, the "cant" can be removed but it is a PITA since they are pinned.....The over ground mag well is not as easy to fix, sometimes you can find poly mags that fit much more snugly but keep your eyes out and obviously try to find one that accepts the steel mags properly.

ETA: the two issues I mentioned are not just problems with the WASRs, but are inherent among all of centurys AK variants.....

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I know I want one with an underfolding stock.

You sure about that? Underfolders, like most AK folding stocks, are great at folding but suck as a stock. :):

As far as currently available, mass-produced guns go (as opposed to kit builds from individual gunsmiths or small shops), you're looking at a WASR, Polish AKMS, or a Yugo M70AB2 - all Century Arms products. Vector is offering Bulgarian-based underfolders on their website, but I haven't seen one of those in person.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I've heard really good things about the arsenals and their milled receivers, but $1200 for an AK clone just isn't going to happen for me even if I win the lottery. I have 2 CAI WASR 10s and am pleased with them both. A couple things to look out for when choosing a WASR are the front sight block, they are often canted, and the mag well, they are often ground out too big allowing the mag to "wobble". Handle many and find the one with a straight front sight, the "cant" can be removed but it is a PITA since they are pinned.....The over ground mag well is not as easy to fix, sometimes you can find poly mags that fit much more snugly but keep your eyes out and obviously try to find one that accepts the steel mags properly.

ETA: the two issues I mentioned are not just problems with the WASRs, but are inherent among all of centurys AK variants.....

I think if you catch them on sale they are around 7 to 800. I know, still pretty salty....

wildcatman71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2010
    My understanding is that the Yugos dont have chrome. I am new to the AKs, but they are supposed to be decent ones.

I just bought my first, and I wanted an under-folding as well. I got so in love with the idea (and instant gratification amongst other things) that I spent way to much cash on a Century Arms WASR-10. I seriously spent $125 more than the other AKs in the store, just for the under-folder. They were more than they should have to begin with too. I wont even embarrass myself with how much I spent on it, it is that bad.

That being said, it is a good gun. It shoots straight, and it is fun. There is virtually no magazine rattle, the sight is not canted, the furniture is on there solid. All good. It is a lot of fun, so I dont regret my purchase. It is sort of uncomfortable, but not to bad. I would say it is on par with the Sub2k I just sold, maybe even a bit more comfortable. I would do it all over again, but maybe for a little less or a "better" gun. It is solid, but the fact that it is a WASR guarantees I wont have much of a resale value if I get rid of it in the future.

So there is my :twocents:

Well said, thank you!

wildcatman71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2010
    You sure about that? Underfolders, like most AK folding stocks, are great at folding but suck as a stock. :):

As far as currently available, mass-produced guns go (as opposed to kit builds from individual gunsmiths or small shops), you're looking at a WASR, Polish AKMS, or a Yugo M70AB2 - all Century Arms products. Vector is offering Bulgarian-based underfolders on their website, but I haven't seen one of those in person.

I thought I did....it just seems they are more out of the way when under...I dont like them on the side. I am not sure I would ever really use the stock....

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I thought I did....it just seems they are more out of the way when under...I dont like them on the side. I am not sure I would ever really use the stock....

If you want to hit your target you will use the stock. While totally awesome, not at all practical or easy to shoot without. Again, I love my underfolder, but it is a total fun gun. If my life depended on it, I would shoulder that sucker or drop it and draw my pistol. At the range, man sized target at 25 yards about half of the time. If I take my time, it is much better, but where is the fun in that? :ar15:

Edit:
    And if you really dont plan on using the stock, buy a Draco for the shorter barrel, then SBR it with a thin wire side folder. Or dont. Either way, the short barrel is going to be lighter and much easier to control when shooting stockless.

wildcatman71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2010
    If you want to hit your target you will use the stock. While totally awesome, not at all practical or easy to shoot without. Again, I love my underfolder, but it is a total fun gun. If my life depended on it, I would shoulder that sucker or drop it and draw my pistol. At the range, man sized target at 25 yards about half of the time. If I take my time, it is much better, but where is the fun in that? :ar15:

Edit:
    And if you really dont plan on using the stock, buy a Draco for the shorter barrel, then SBR it with a thin wire side folder. Or dont. Either way, the short barrel is going to be lighter and much easier to control when shooting stockless.

Right on. I only plan on using this for fun....I just like shooting them from the hip...but I guess you just never know

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    check out midwest up north they run deals on ak's during christmas they were 339

And they arent now. They are over $400. I payed a god-awful amount for my underfolder there, far more than I should have. Dunhams has had them cheaper. If you are really brave, you could even go dirt cheap and buy a single stack from Dunhams, and cut the double stack out for yourself for like $300.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Top Bottom