• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought two from CMP. Drove over and went through the racks and picked out two with the best barrels I could find. They will check them for you. The wood was in poor shape so I ended up putting new wood on both of them.

Good experience and fun to look around. I bought two cans of ammo also while I was there.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Looking for a collector piece or a shooter? If the former, you're not likely to find it. They are out of correct grades and most of what they have in stock are mixmaster guns using various milsurp parts.

If you're looking for a fun gun to shoot with some history behind it then a CMP gun is the only way to go. They refurbish every gun they sell and examine it carefully. Some of them have original wood, some have new wood. It totally depends on what style is mostnattractive to you personally. I was at the north store about a month ago and they had a ton of decent service grade HRA and Springfields, some really rough rack grades too. And yes, buy someof the Greek surplus ammo while you're there.

Be sure to check out the cmp website for their requirements to purchase. As for the need to belong to an affiliated club, I would recommend the garand collectors association or the Indiana state rifle and pistol association.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Can't go wrong with the CMP. If there does happen to be a problem with the rifle, they generally make it good without any questions.

Join the GCA for the other requirement and you'll get a great magazine with good M1 related articles 4 times a year. Well worth it!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Go to www.odcmp.org Signup for the CMP Garand match and go up there the day before to buy your rifle and shoot it in the Garand match the next day.

You won't be the only one doing that. Dozens of guys do just that every year. It is typical to have 1500 shooters at the Garand match.

bjbooher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks Yall! looks like your all pointing me in the direction I wanted to go. Just wanted some feedback and I got it. Thanks again!

Top Bottom