• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's possible they didn't know he was armed and just figured claiming he was would be enough to get him hassled. It may have been a total coincidence.
    True but I don't think coincidences happen nearly as often as people like to think. I've responded to more than a few "armed" road rages and the caller identified the other as armed guess what? They were always armed. When asked, the armed person was always informed me that it was "coincidental". I'm a skeptic.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    We're only getting one side of the story, and we have no idea what the other half told the officers that OP allegedly interacted with. People lie to the police all the time. Our responses are based on what we are told when we weren't there to see what really took place.

Get out of here with your sound logic and real world experiences man. There’s no room for that here on INGO.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -snip-
    Do I have anything to worry about, it's been two weeks and I've heard nothing?

For one, depending on what department took your handgun, good luck getting it back anytime soon, if ever.
    This is why I've come to believe that one shouldn't have a lot of money in their EDC piece.
    Then the "bite" isn't as bad if you never see it again and it turns into what amounts to theft without compensation.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    We're only getting one side of the story, and we have no idea what the other half told the officers that OP allegedly interacted with. People lie to the police all the time. Our responses are based on what we are told when we weren't there to see what really took place.

I was behind the counter at an LGS a week later and the officer who patted ma down and disarmed me came in. I joked that I was dissapointed, he never called or wrote...honestly the responding leos were professional and I have no criticism.

How did they know you were armed? Honest question.

It's possible they didn't know he was armed and just figured claiming he was would be enough to get him hassled. It may have been a total coincidence.

True but I don't think coincidences happen nearly as often as people like to think. I've responded to more than a few "armed" road rages and the caller identified the other as armed guess what? They were always armed. When asked, the armed person was always informed me that it was "coincidental". I'm a skeptic.

I figured they made it up. Or maybe the officer was embellishing things to get me to admit to something else. Leo said, AFTER removing my S &W 642, that other party said I pointed a silver gun. If I were a cop I'd be skeptical of me too. But I am an old, educated white guy with common sense who spoke calmly and rationally. . I think the officers believed me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In today's day and age you have to have a plan for your gun being taken. Aside from the swatting issue, there are numerous circumstances beyond your control such as accidents, injury or health issues. Not to mention, heaven forbid, you have to actually use your gun for self defense. Any of these things happen and you are very likely to be going home without your weapon.

Lot of money is a bit of a relevant term, but is a factor in considering one's carry gear. I recent years, I've put a lot more emphasis on universal usage gear and the ability to have affordable duplicates. How quick one could be back up and running as normal could be as soon as getting back to the car or txting a friend.

Unique or specialty gear could limit your options, more common equipment could be a faster/easier fix. A buddy with a G19 he could do without for a few weeks is more common than one with an extra XD or CZ or 1911 or custom anything to match with all your holsters, magazines, ammo, etc. :twocents:

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Wait.... I think we're making assumptions. In either of the encounters described by Snorko and the OP, were the guns kept by the responding officers? I read it as they were disarmed but took it as temporarily.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In today's day and age you have to have a plan for your gun being taken. Aside from the swatting issue, there are numerous circumstances beyond your control such as accidents, injury or health issues. Not to mention, heaven forbid, you have to actually use your gun for self defense. Any of these things happen and you are very likely to be going home without your weapon.

Lot of money is a bit of a relevant term, but is a factor in considering one's carry gear. I recent years, I've put a lot more emphasis on universal usage gear and the ability to have affordable duplicates. How quick one could be back up and running as normal could be as soon as getting back to the car or txting a friend.

Unique or specialty gear could limit your options, more common equipment could be a faster/easier fix. A buddy with a G19 he could do without for a few weeks is more common than one with an extra XD or CZ or 1911 or custom anything to match with all your holsters, magazines, ammo, etc. :twocents:

:thumbsup:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I recently had a situation where I was a victim of road rage. After pulling into my destination I noticed a small SUV had followed me in. At first I thought they where going to same place but soon found out that was not the case. After getting out of my truck the other driver pulled up behind me blocking my truck, with just enough room for his passenger window to be in view. Keep in mind it's dark outside and my spot was barley lit. He slowly rolls his window down, and my first instinct was to ready myself and put my hand near my psitol. At no time did I draw or point my weapon at this guy. Well the first thing that comes out of his mouth is so your going to pull a gun on me, and of course I say no, and ask what do you want. Well we end up exchanging a few choice words, and I thought he left,but he ended up finding a police officer where he accused me of pointing a gun at him. So, what happens next is three squad cars are blocking me and I'm on my knees getting handcuffed. I knew I had done nothing wrong and with in a few minutes I was let go, but before the officer released me he asked my how did the other guy know I had a gun. I told him that I was a bit freaked out by his actions and readied myself by posturing up and putting my hand next to my pistol. The officer then told me that he couldn't prove I pulled my pistol then, went on to say but, I'm still going to send it up, which I took to mean up to an investigator. My question is,. Do I have anything to worry about, it's been two weeks and I've heard nothing?

One thing to keep in mind. It seems to me that 90% of 911 calls are exaggerated. Hardly any call ends up being what it is dispatched as. I feel safe in saying most officers with a few years under their belts would agree.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’m guessing that my adopting every G19 that hasn’t already found a good home isn’t as crazy as my wife leads me to believe?

ETA: He who calls first, begins the narrative, as the “victim”!

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm a skeptic too but I also have some **** luck. This is why i dont put ANYTHING on my vehicles pointing to guns. I dont even get certain "vanity" plates for this reason also because of the LUNATICS out there. People in the world are ****ing nuts and I try to blend in and be unnoticed as much as possible. If i pull a gun I intended to and it won't be out of anger. No way in hell will I risk losing one damn day with my wonderful family over some piece of **** loser crazy idiot. They can call me whatever they want, flip me the bird, cut me off, whatever. As long as they dont point a gun at me or try to enter my vehicle then im good.

Would I blame the cops for doing a felony stop or whatecer you guys call it, if someone called and lied to 911 saying I pulled a gun? Nope not one bit because in this day and age there are (as mentioned above) lots of ****ing nuts people out there who probably really do that. I'm slow and legit hard of hearing so just give me time to do what you say and speak clear and one at a time or I wont understand you lol, and I'll do whatever you want. I'm not fighting the cops.
    Press charges against the liar? You bet your ass I would!!! I'd hire a good lawyer too if they told me they could do something about it.
    Sometimes there are several battles to win a war.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I’m guessing that my adopting every G19 that hasn’t already found a good home isn’t as crazy as my wife leads me to believe?

ETA: He who calls first, begins the narrative, as the “victim”!
    BINGO!!!
    As a wise trainer and his lawyer once said, even if you KNOW and see other people are calling the police, YOU also get on the phone and call 911 yourself. And when they arrive the first words out of your mouth to the cops should be "I'm the one that called you"

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

You mean kinda like right now? We don't know what happened, are only told one side, and are basing our responses on such?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Cute-Asian-Girl-Enjoys-Her-Heavenly-Food-Reaction-Gif.gif

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Wagyu beef.

A great no carb snack for those on keto or Atkins.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I pulled into a large well lit parking lot, they followed me in, and parked about 40 feet away. I stepped out of my car but at no time did I touch my sidearm which was fully concealed. After a few seconds they drove off. I took side streets home, .

Snorko don’t take my question the wrong way, just asking for point of view.

Dont you feel that by stopping and stepping out of you car to be somewhat of a provoking manner? Isn’t it our duty to best avoid the situation? Obviously you wouldn’t lead them home but stopping because you feel they are following you doesn’t seem like the best option when carrying a weapon.
    Just wondering why you would put yourself in that situation?

Top Bottom