• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Bloomington
    It's a 5.56 Double Star. Will feed first round no problem, but will not extract or eject initial round when second is attempted to be chambered. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Will it feed and eject a dummy round?
    Are these factory loads or reloads?
    Does your bolt "fling" a round if you put an empty case under the extractor with the carrier out of the upper?
    Is this a factory build or homebrew?
    Gas tube placed correctly? Is the carrier fully cycling or shortstroking?
    Headspace ok?

I'm pretty new to the platform as well, but those are the things that I can think of that could be issues?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It's a 5.56 Double Star. Will feed first round no problem, but will not extract or eject initial round when second is attempted to be chambered. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Loose gas key
    Broken extractor
    Crappy ammo
    Gas port too small
    Cracked gas tube
    Improper or lack of lube
    Mis-alignment of gas block
    Problem with buffer or spring

Somebody will come along to add what I missed.:)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

You need to be more specific, this is like saying "my car is making a noise, please help" on the internet.

So is it leaving the fired/empty case in the chamber and trying to feed a new one? Is it extracting the fired case, but trying to feed both it and the new round at the same time? Is the bolt behind or on top of the new round? can you take a photo of the malfunction? is it consistent? Is this a new gun, or a well-used gun with a new problem?

based on your very basic description, I would say 1) make sure the extractor claw is sharp and the spring is giving enough tension, 2) make sure the ejector moves freely and has enough tension, and 3) make sure you aren't short stroking by verifying the bolt will lock back after firing one round w/ an empty mag inserted.

-rvb

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Like Sloughfoot covered, have you looked real good at the extractor? I have seen them break where the whole end is gone. I have also seen them break where just the last part of the lip that actually catches the brass head is missing. That was easy to miss.

I have been very lucky, I bought a complete DPMS spare parts kit when I bought my first AR in the mid 90's. A dozen rifles later, (and some of those were shot enough to need 3 or 4 replacement barrels) and I have never had a part failure, not even a spring or a gas ring.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Are you manually trying to chamber the rounds into the chamber? If so you are probably riding the charging handle. Like the others before me have said, you need to be more specific.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    1) Is the bolt cycling or not? If not, check your gas system for blockage or being plugged up. Also check your ammo. Should not be an issue with factory loads unless they are old, got wet, or are of suspicious quality. Obviously if the bolt doesn't cycle (or only cycles partially) you will not get reliable operation.

2) Does the round in the chamber extract if you pull the charging handle? If not, then your extractor is broken, bent, missing, or is otherwise misaligned and not grabbing the groove on the round. This assumes, of course that your rounds have good extractor grooves. Again, shouldn't be an issue with good factory ammo. How is your headspace? Too much and the round goes into the chamber too far and the extractor may lose its grip.

3) Does your ejector have an issue? Normally the round should get thrown out the ejector port but if the ejector is missing, broken, or otherwise not right, the round will stick on the bolt-face and go back into the chamber. Of course this usually causes a jam as the next round gets fed up the ramp. So this is probably not the issue unless you also have a feeding problem.

Anbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Bloomington
    Damn ejector

Appreciate all the input. Sorry couldn't be more specific, as I'm somewhat of an AR noob. Ended up being a broken ejector. $23 and I'm back in business. Thanks again :ar15:

Top Bottom