• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Electrolysis should do the trick in pretty short order and it will remove ALL of the rust. I do this all the time with surplus guns that look like they haven't seen oil in years. You would be surprised at the results.

Do you use a commercial electrolysis device or home made? If commercial which one? I have a badly corroded shotgun I would love to try to restore.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Do you use a commercial electrolysis device or home made? If commercial which one? I have a badly corroded shotgun I would love to try to restore.

Home made with an old low voltage DC battery charger.....like a camera or drill driver charger. You can also use a couple of D cell batteries. I use the same process to clean the bores of badly rusted and neglected surplus rifles. The polarity is reversed to clean a bore. There are several places online to show you how

I use low voltage for delicate jobs like firearms, but use a small auto battery charger (set @ 6 volts) for big jobs like garden tools and such. The key for guns is patience. Let the process do its thing slowly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Alright, getting ready to play chemist. :): Always have rust somewhere. This time found it on an expensive AI 308 magazine. :xmad:

I just had to use fingernail polish remover to clean up WD40 that cleaned up gorilla tape adhesive on another project. My bottle is down to 1/2 and could be down to 1/3, if I pour off into another bottle. I'm gonna mix up something here in the fingernail polish remover bottle.

Couple questions for all...

Never did get an answer on the Mercon vs ATF (Ford guy here.)
    Better to use the Klean-Heat kerosene that I use for the lanterns or regular K1 that is for the heater?

Just to be clear, the consensus thinks that the three way mix with kerosene is better than just acetone/ATF, right?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Alright, getting ready to play chemist. :): Always have rust somewhere. This time found it on an expensive AI 308 magazine. :xmad:

I just had to use fingernail polish remover to clean up WD40 that cleaned up gorilla tape adhesive on another project. My bottle is down to 1/2 and could be down to 1/3, if I pour off into another bottle. I'm gonna mix up something here in the fingernail polish remover bottle.

Couple questions for all...

Never did get an answer on the Mercon vs ATF (Ford guy here.)
    Better to use the Klean-Heat kerosene that I use for the lanterns or regular K1 that is for the heater?

Just to be clear, the consensus thinks that the three way mix with kerosene is better than just acetone/ATF, right?

I doubt the mix is that sensitive but you better try all the combos to see which works best.

Any ATF has so many detergents and many aftermarket ATFs are marked dexron/mercon I doubt it matters.

The expensive stuff from the HW/camping store might have slightly fewer additives/variety of additives than the K1 from a pump but I doubt it makes a difference.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I doubt the mix is that sensitive but you better try all the combos to see which works best.

Any ATF has so many detergents and many aftermarket ATFs are marked dexron/mercon I doubt it matters.

The expensive stuff from the HW/camping store might have slightly fewer additives/variety of additives than the K1 from a pump but I doubt it makes a difference.

Funny story, to me at least;

I mixed the stuff up, then an INGOer contacted me about an item I had for sale in the classy's. The deal came together quick and I headed out to Indy. I was almost to Indy when it occurred to me that I left the mix in a plastic bottle, on a plastic table... :n00b:

...all is fine. Bottle and table intact.

The jury is still out on how good the concoction works though. My magazine rust issue isn't terrible, but the rust did not magically wipe away either.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Funny story, to me at least;

I mixed the stuff up, then an INGOer contacted me about an item I had for sale in the classy's. The deal came together quick and I headed out to Indy. I was almost to Indy when it occurred to me that I left the mix in a plastic bottle, on a plastic table... :n00b:

...all is fine. Bottle and table intact.

The jury is still out on how good the concoction works though. My magazine rust issue isn't terrible, but the rust did not magically wipe away either.

ATF+Acetone isn't a rust remover or prevention, it's penetrating oil to loosen stuck parts.

Top Bottom