• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I need some good suggestions for a new flashlight. I currently have a Nitecore R2 as my EDC. And I like it a lot. 220'lumens. But I want something bigger. Perhaps to use it in my Jeep, or keep handy in the house. Something that's larger than a EDC light.

I've been looking around. But I'm not sure which one I would want yet. I do know I don't want to spend much over $120. At least 220 lumens.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    i was not real pleased with my fenix light. it is a tk10 model and will flicker on high output setting. i have tried several dif name brands of batteries and it still does it. this is the only light i have from them but it made me not buy one again.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    New Light

Wife bought me a Surefire E2D ( newer model) for my Bday this thing has 200 lumens but it will also go down to 5 lumens if needed. I carry this light on a daily basis and cant say enough good things about it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Something that's larger than a EDC light.

I'm curious why you want something physically larger?

• Tougher to lose?
    • Easier to find?
    • Could be used as an impact weapon?
    • Easier to tuck under your arm?
    • Uses larger, more readily available batteries?
    If it were me, I'd buy two more of what my current EDC is (Streamlight PT2L) at $50/each and stash one in the house and one in the car, in case the one on my person fails. Unless, of course, you have the reasons above.

Here is a comparison of several lights I did a while back:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...parison_-_fenix_olight_streamlight_inova.html

And I think you've already seen these options:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view_fenix_tk15_vs_olight_m20_r5_warrior.html

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm curious why you want something physically larger?

• Tougher to lose?
    • Easier to find?
    • Could be used as an impact weapon?
    • Easier to tuck under your arm?
    • Uses larger, more readily available batteries?
    If it were me, I'd buy two more of what my current EDC is (Streamlight PT2L) at $50/each and stash one in the house and one in the car, in case the one on my person fails. Unless, of course, you have the reasons above.

Here is a comparison of several lights I did a while back:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...parison_-_fenix_olight_streamlight_inova.html

And I think you've already seen these options:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view_fenix_tk15_vs_olight_m20_r5_warrior.html

I forgot all about those reviews!

The reasons I want something larger than an EDC is pretty much what you mentioned above. I'm happy with my current EDC, the Nitecore. And I have that with me all the time, just as I have my awesome lil microstream. I do practice with my Nitecore as a defensive light with my pistol. It's not a pretty sight, but I have been practicing :D (I gotta take that low light class!)

I use the Microstream for other uses. I'd like another larger light for possibly emergency uses. Maybe even a work light. Something I can tuck under my arm like you mentioned. Something I can toss into my future "get home bag". Which will be one of my Bail Out Bags.

I just think a EDC light is a little too small for those purposes. A bigger light that will be harder to lose would be the thing.

But then again, I'm probably outta my mind, but it makes sense in my head ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But then again, I'm probably outta my mind, but it makes sense in my head ;)

That's all that really matters, right? :D

The Fenix TK40, as mentioned in the above link, is a pretty neat light. Its a bright thrower on turbo mode. I didn't mess around with the other power-settings, but its nice to have options on a general task light. Using 8 AA batteries is kinda nice too.

I haven't looked at other lights in that category though, so there may be something better and/or cheaper out there.

Fenix's homepages

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    what ever you do stay away from those surefires unless it a led lamp about 25 bucks a pop for the cheaper g2 style's and they burn out all the time

sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    If toughness and durability are important to you, check out the first part of this video from shot show. I don't think a chinese light could take that kind of abuse.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t8h4TfcwSw"]YouTube - 2011 SHOT Show Elzetta Product Line[/ame]

Top Bottom