• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    I have teenage children and one can never be too careful when it comes to kids (big and small) around the house and getting into things. What would you recommend for a bedroom safe? Are they keyed or combination or fingerprint?? I have no idea where to start. Thank you for your feedback.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Keep them from access when you're not around, but no amount of restriction can replace a proper early education in safety and respect..:twocents:

combo or fingerprint

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    While I just love Johnson Safes custom manufactured right here in central Indiana alas I currently cannot afford one of sufficient size for my collection and other things I would like to store in it. Any safe is better than nothing, and one reasonably priced safe is the Sentry safe by Stack on from Menards. It is around $600.00 and the delivery charges are very reasonable. And quite a few people on INGO own one and are quite happy with them. One thing to consider is the fire rating. If you live close to a fire station you could probably be ok with this safe as it is rated for about 30 min. But the farther out in the country you live the more fire rating you need. I actually visited Mr Johnson and he explained the main differences between his safes and other commercial safes. One is the type of material he uses for fire protection and the other is the fact that he boxes in around the door opening to make it much stronger. All the other commercial safes simply roll the sheet metal into a lip for the bolts to engage and with enough time a determined BG can eventually pry the safe open. It would be quite a bit more difficult to do that to Mr Johnson's safes! (this has been an unpaid commercial endorsement for Johnson safes and not authorized by Johnson Safes :laugh:)

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I am currently looking at safes myself and have found Pioneer Safes on ebay. The guy who sells them lives just north of Ft. Wayne and use to own Liberty Safes. I have not found any negativity about them aside from the "Made in China" aspect in my research. Also for me I can pick it up and save a little more money since I am pretty close. May want to look at them to. Guys name is Marc. Just my .02

indymeh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I would go with biometric because your kid\s aren't going to guess the combo(watch over your shoulder) or find the key because your fingerprints are the key. As mentioned above this is no replacement for " a proper early education in safety and respect"

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I just bought a gun safe yesterday for my long guns & most of my handguns. For my immediate access safe though I bought one from the NRA store that holds 1-2 handguns & has 4 raised knobs on the top. You set you own 4 digit combo, and the knobs are raised high enough that you can easily do it in the dark. It was around $100 & I love it.

Spinaltapls1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Avon, IN
    If you want your guns to be safe go with the Johnson safe. after a lot of research that is what i did solid door no composite. Fire rating is way way better than safe in the same price range. also your giving you money to a guy the builds his safe in America with American parts.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I would go with biometric because your kid\s aren't going to guess the combo(watch over your shoulder) or find the key because your fingerprints are the key. As mentioned above this is no replacement for " a proper early education in safety and respect"

I wanted the biometric one at first til I read several reviews stating problems with recognizing fingerprints. Essentially, some people have prints that just wont work with it or also it can be fidgety with recognition and take several swipes to open. Not what I'd want to happen in an emergency and we all know Murphy's law. With my button version, I can enter the shape or pattern of buttons for the combo in complete darkness. The buttons are rubber and tactile.

The balance between keeping your kids out of it and being readily available in an emergency is more a personal decision to be made. Ive already found a video on how to defeat one with a paper clip if one would have the time and know how to do it. Or it could be smashed off its mount and grabbed and pryed open somewhere safe for the thief. Many variables to take into account in your choice. This was the right choice for me.

BayChaser

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I am currently looking at safes myself and have found Pioneer Safes on ebay. The guy who sells them lives just north of Ft. Wayne and use to own Liberty Safes. I have not found any negativity about them aside from the "Made in China" aspect in my research. Also for me I can pick it up and save a little more money since I am pretty close. May want to look at them to. Guys name is Marc. Just my .02

Hey can you give me the Ebay link I think I would like to purchase 1 of those

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I always figured that safes are like anvils, the more they weigh, the stronger they are. I am more of the mechanical tumbler dial lock fan. Safes that are 100 years old are still working that have those. The heat/fire/waterproof features are important too.

My defensive firearms are never in the safe, they are kept handy at all times, So speedy entry is not part of my criteria.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Another vote for Johnson Safe. Made near Whitestown, and Mr. Johnson is an amazing guy to deal with. My Husband grew up with his kids, so he was our first choice when it came time to buy one. It has a much higher temperature rating that other manufactured safes when it comes to fire. We went with the classic dial lock rather than electronic. There's just too much that can go wrong when it comes to the digital ones.

He even hauled it up a flight of 100 year old stairs for us when him and his son delivered it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom