• ...and so much more!
  • kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    Here is my scenario...
    i am in the Indiana National Guard and am currently PCS'ed to Ft Rucker for the next year or so for training.
    Now the house my wife and I lived in prior to PCS'ing was a rental and we no longer maintain a lease to that property.
    My question is this, while I am down here at Ft Rucker, How do I maintain my Indiana LTCH without an address back home in Indy so I can carry legally down here?

p.s. I have a Utah license as well

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You don't need to do anything to maintain your lifetime LTCH. I mean, don't die or get convicted of a felony, those might be problems.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    IANAL but without an indiana residence that you officially call home (even when deployed) your licence is inactive since you are no longer a resident. Its not revoked, just not valid for you to carry (and therefore get reciprocity) since you are no longer a resident of the state and therefore a resident permit doesnt apply to you. Notify the ISP of your address change to Ft Rucker ASAP. Indiana law requires this notice. They will "inactivate" your license. As soon as you get an address back here in IN, Notify them of the new IN address and it is active again.

ETA: And without an Indiana LTCH your Utah is no longer valid either.

awesome this is what i needed to know.
    also in regards to Utah, I took the class and everything for that, can i not just call them and change the address?

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    In order for the Utah permit to be valid you first have to possess a valid license from your state of legal residence I believe. You should call them and ask.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Military duty station never used to impact one's home state of residence, unless something has changed.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    Military duty station never used to impact one's home state of residence, unless something has changed.

since i dont have a home any longer back in Indiana (until i return and purchase a house), I was worried that I may not be considered a resident any longer in the terms of my LTCH

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne

This. You are not a permanent resident of the state you are stationed in. Indiana would stay your home of record. My whole time in the Navy my home of record was Indiana. Even while stationed overseas for 2 years I still voted in Indiana.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    This. You are not a permanent resident of the state you are stationed in. Indiana would stay your home of record. My whole time in the Navy my home of record was Indiana. Even while stationed overseas for 2 years I still voted in Indiana.

would i still use my previous rental address?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

If that's the last place you lived before being assigned an out of state duty station, sure. When you return and get a new place, make sure to inform ISP of your new Indiana address.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne

I wouldn't think so. When I was in my home of record was my parents address since that's where I lived when I joined. Do you have family in Indiana that you could use a stout home of record in Indiana?

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Do you pay Indiana state taxes? Do you still have an Indiana drivers license? Is your vehicle still registered in Indiana and you pay state excise taxes on it when you register your vehicle? If so, then you are still an Indiana resident. Just because you PCS'd to an out of state duty station has doesn't mean your not an Indiana resident anymore.

That being said.....I have no idea what happens when you notify the State Police of your new address as required for your LTCH.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You don't need to do anything to maintain your lifetime LTCH. I mean, don't die or get convicted of a felony, those might be problems.

Is it two disqualification for the price of one if you are convicted of being dead?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You can in some way apply this to your situation... With college students who may infect live 9 months of the year out of Indiana but still possess an Indiana drivers license and call Indiana home are good to go even if they are living in another state for school. The catch to that is that they can still/ are still receiving their mail at mom and dad's house. You may make a call to ISP. Or something and ask, but if you are still a Indiana resident living out of the state you should be ok. However you may or may not need to find a residence you may claim/be able to receive mail at... Again like CameraMonkey IANAL but seems to be about the same and it works this way for a friend of mine who works out of state at the moment and is in Indiana maybe once a month or so.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom