• ...and so much more!
  • theboss365

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    PLYMOUTH
    OK, I am still working on building an upper. It is a 20" Krieger barrel attached to a RRA upper, I have a float tube on it for now, but its carbine length. I know its dumb, but I got it for 15 bucks and it made the upper shootable.
    I have been looking at the Hogue rifle length.

I'm looking for a new tube in a rifle length, but I have 2 questions

1. whats the difference between a $60.00 tube and a $400.00 tube.

2. Will I notice the difference. I don't shoot alot and when I do it's just for fun at this point.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Differences range from the rail system, materials, R&D/Markup, warrenty, weight and how the tube index / locks to keep from rotating.
    The the questions are:
    1: Do you have any uses for rails other than a bipod?
    2: Will this be carried in the field or mainly fired off the bench / fired at fuzzy varmints?

If not then can get buy with a simple tube forend that you drill and tip on the bottom for a sling swivel to put on a Harris bipod for $50.
    You do loose any actual indexing besides being tight but works ok on my 24" SS HB upper.
    frrefloat.gif

For a light (but not low cost) I like the PRI also nice off hand.
    Pg-oqtiX0E9n3g6qyUW6Rnbt7UBQH7uMS9fOY4cNBQV7xftM7L8PaR2AJFx5JR6pIBajkeZ_FJmPCNVCcrIhUvkqMpt3oNwuxkAljS2RrV4bIouHq01KexnXjyzQ6srVKPHygjQVHSmEfQ768nbikKzLkxlU2KPT3ZuR_eglWc1ZdLaDqg-f3hkwAEgjF8Y

For a nice rail would start with LaRue.
    P1011874small.JPG

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So. I'm an ar noob, what makes the exspensive ones better vs. the "cheep" ones

Quality of materials used
    Little design features that are more "shooter" friendly
    Quality of the mounting system and hardware
    Overall weight

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    2. Will I notice the difference. I don't shoot alot and when I do it's just for fun at this point.

Will you be mounting anything to it? A bipod? A sling?

If a bipod, how will you attach it? Swivel stud? QD lever (like LaRue)?

How are you going to be shooting it mostly? From a bench? Prone? Offhand?

theboss365

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    PLYMOUTH
    planning on mountin the bipod from the gas block. I am mainly looking for a smooth I think. Or is mounting the bipod on the gas block a bad Idea? This rifle will be mostly used for bench shooting, but I do want it field ready.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Bipod on the gas block is a bad idea yes.

I suggest a JP Vtac tube, if you are going to go with a tube type. Its a pretty nice tube as tubes go.

theboss365

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    PLYMOUTH
    ok, then I'd rather just tap the tube for it if I used a smooth tube. The railed tubes just don't excite me. I just don't like the rails on my carbine, they are to big for my baby hands. I want this to be comfortable.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    planning on mountin the bipod from the gas block. I am mainly looking for a smooth I think. Or is mounting the bipod on the gas block a bad Idea? This rifle will be mostly used for bench shooting, but I do want it field ready.

yes, bad idea. mounting the bipod on the gas block defeats the purpose of floating the barrel.
    -rvb

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Troy makes a tube style but also has rail pieces that will give you the option to mount a light, VFG, bipod or whatever else you want. They are a little more expensive but not as much as the Larue and are also VERY lightweight. BloodEclipse on here used one in a build and if you do a search on his name you will find it...and its nice. I bought a TRX and then decided to just use a cheaper bolt on since I don't really use a VFG or a bipod. Just another option besides a regular tube only design and its free float.

Troy BattleRail TRX Extreme 13" | Troy Industries

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Since we have met and talked face to face and I have a feel for what you want to do... here is my suggestion:

From World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

The DPMS AR15 Free Float tube Part No. 231-015-006AF for $53.99

It will do everything you want a free float tube to do, including mounting your bipod on it.

They have a vented version also for $26.00 more, your choice.

They have a Hogue that will also work.

My offer to help still stands...

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    ^^^^+1^^^^
    As long as the tube is two piece there shouldn't be an issue with getting it to index if you've drilled or slotted it.

I've used the inexpensive Model 1 tubes with app. 17 Kriegers without issue.

theboss365

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    PLYMOUTH
    Thanks, Sloughfoot you right, you know what I want and I value your opinion very highly. I was going to go with the Houge anyway. You just helped me make it make it my choice.
    Thanks to everyone for the help. I now have a better understanding of these things.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would spring for the vented tube. It will help let heat dissipate. I just put a vented DPMS rifle length on my carbine. $78.95 from DPMS and it shipped free.

Looks good. Functions as expected. I don't plan on a bipod or anything like that.

Top Bottom