• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am in need of a serial number check on a handgun I'm considering buying. It's being offered by a friend of friend of my dad. I'm a little concerned about the low price, but I know the guy is laid off and needs the money.

My main concern is that he doesn't know the history having bought it F2F himself. Is there anyone out there who could check it for me? All I want to know is if its clean or dirty. If its dirty I'll pass and leave it up to him what he does with it. I don't want to cause any trouble for him and am concerned that I'll catch heat just for asking about it.

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    You should be able to take the ser # to any local police department and have them run it, LEIN is checked and can not be used for personal information, but if you do it at the department they will be able to run it for you,

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The local PD can run it for you, but they are going to want to see the gun. I can't think of any PD that will run a gun they don't have. The reason is because if it comes up stolen, they are not giving it back.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Now figure that out.

You want to purchase something but have to possess it before
    you can run a check on it.
    I had the same issue with a dirt bike.
    Called to have VIN checked and was told to bring it in. (titles are not issued)
    Needless to say, I passed on both.

We Taxpayers pay for the data base but can't have access to it.

I would suspect your out of luck unless you know someone on the inside.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This would not be as effective as having a police department check. But it's a start. Nothing against the cops, rules are rules but if they cant help then we as a community of owners need to do what we can on our own. I have never used this database but it seems like a good idea.

Stolen Gun Database And Stolen Guns Search

"Welcome to StolenWeapon.Com, the internet's #1 resource for submitting and recovering Stolen Guns and Stolen Weapons. We hope that you find our database easy to use and a resource that you can continue to use well into the future. If you would like to submit your Guns and make use of our system, please register so you can submit your Stolen Gun or search our ever growing database.

We have set out to create a place for victims of gun theft to post their stolen firearms as well as a place for the rest of the world to easily search for stolen gun serial numbers. We have worked very hard to make this site user friendly but at the same time secure. Please feel free to contact us with your suggestions as we are evaluating all feedback as we move forward.

Although gun recovery is difficult, it is not our website's only purpose. At the moment, a stolen weapon is instant cash for any thief, but with our website's capability it will now allow the general public to privately and easily identify a stolen gun. This will ultimately drive down the value of these guns; therefore, possibly preventing and deterring a thief from stealing firearms. Remember, after logging in you can enter as many stolen weapons into the database as you see fit. There is no limit and no need to register multiple accounts.
    Registration is 100% free!"

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Why not just tell him it has to go through a dealer and pay for the dealer transfer. If it's a legit sale he shouldn't mind at all, if not then it's not something you want anyway. For me the transfer fee would be cheap insurance. (except if you went to Don's for the transfer)

Top Bottom