• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've tried search google, I called Kleindorfer's in Bloomington, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I need a rubber grommet... 5/16" ID X 7/16" OD grommet with a groove width of 1/8"

The groove width is the important part here. Every corner hardware store, auto store and home improvement store has a 5/16" X 7/16" grommet, but the groove width is always 1/16". I must have 1/8".

I know this grommet has to be made, but I can't even find an online grommet store that has a good selection of grommets. Or when I do find a store its always one dimension or the other that isn't right, or it's just not listed at all.

Does anybody have better search-fu than I have?

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You try a hobby store or a scrapbooking store (Joanne Fabrics, Michael's, etc.)? I see grommets there when Spasmo is looking for scrapbooking stuff.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Walmart also carries some as well. They are located in the craft area, usually around sewing but not always.

They are found in multiple areas in places like hobby lobby,michaels, joanns. I bought some at your favorite place ;), Lowes. It's tricky to find them at lowes and home depot. I think at Home Depot they were in tools area. In Lowes, I found them over around the door knobs. I never looked at Menards though.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    OH, rubber grommets I found at Lowes. They were in the specialty cabinets/drawers. I can't help you other than that. :)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    OH, rubber grommets I found at Lowes. They were in the specialty cabinets/drawers. I can't help you other than that. :)
    Yeah, I checked at Lowes... never thought I'd willingly go in there again, but I did... that's another story, quite commical as well... "How many Lowe's Employees does it take to unspool wire for a customer?"

All they had was grommets with a 1/16" groove width (made for passing through thin sheet metal etc).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The first one is only 1/16" groove width. The second one is 3/16" groove width. The second will work, but may be a bit loose. But at least it will work...

I'll keep looking for the exact one I need, but if nothing else I know there is one that will at least protect the wires.

Thanks for the find...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'd try stretching the one with the 1/16 slot, it should retain. I have some neoprene and punches, might be able to fabricate one if you can't find one satisfactory. It won't have the rounded edge, though.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'd try stretching the one with the 1/16 slot, it should retain. I have some neoprene and punches, might be able to fabricate one if you can't find one satisfactory. It won't have the rounded edge, though.
    The problem with "it should retain" is that this grommet is internal to an electric motor that is NLA except on the used market (a market that is drying up). Hence I'm repairing it vs. buying a new one. In most cases I could accept "should retain" and go with it but in this case it's pushing the limits of risk I'm willing to go through. I don't want the grommet coming apart or falling out and ruining the motor. I would rather put the wires in without a grommet than risk feeding the grommet to the rotor/stator on a tiny electric motor.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, I can see in that case. Pm me if you can't find something; I'll need critical dimensions, but I can poke a few holes and do some solvent welding, take a few minutes, basically. Sometimes it's just easier than banging your head against it.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    If you can't find what you're looking for, I've solved similar problems by using silicone automotive gasket products like permatex. Once it cures, its not going anywhere and I'm certain it can handle the heat from nearly any electric motor.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you can't find what you're looking for, I've solved similar problems by using silicone automotive gasket products like permatex. Once it cures, its not going anywhere and I'm certain it can handle the heat from nearly any electric motor.
    Good idea, I hadn't thought about that...

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I'll have a look at work tomorrow, I work on European cars so it will be metric not standard 5/16"=8mm 7/16"=11mm.
    As someone else has stated you can use permatex, you can alway seal it with "the right stuff" which I use all the time on BMW's and MB.
    If I have it I'll send you a couple

Top Bottom