• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    While I personally am thankful to be with a woman that enjoys full-metal Sig Sauer handguns for "concealed carry" and has owned multiple Mossbergs in 12 gauge, I must relate a local story where a woman killed two men threatening rape during a home invasion with a .38+p Lady Smith. 5 rounds, shot placement, and ammo left two dead bastards and one distraught woman.
    Extrapolating on that, a good revolver (please get one that is more than 5 shots since most home invasions involve multiple assailants, at least in my area) and some training and a level head can go a long, long way.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    My wife has big hands but insufficient wrist strength to fire an auto. We found her a Taurus
    .38 with a3" barrel and snubby style grips. You might look for a Smith with 6 shots and
    J-frame type grips...take her to a gun show and let her hold a few different guns.

SyntorX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Judge

How bout a Taurus Judge? :dunno:

The Ruger SP101 is very nice.

I got my wife a Rossi 410 shotgun and a Bersa Thunder 380 (with pink grips)
    My brother GRABBED me by my shoulder and said "you DO realize you are ARMING your wife? ...you best not tick her off!" lol

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    If It's House Protection

If it's house protection you want, 410 shotgun all the way.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If she can barricade herself in a corner the shotgun is great. If she has to answer the door it might be
    Less than convinient. A short barreled revolver is easy to hide behind her back and can be fired at point
    Blank range from the hip(with practice) . It's hard to grab without being shot in the hand. And it's
    Simpler to operate!!!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Since you have received a great deal of excellent advice regarding a house gun, I thought I would move along to suggesting a garage gun:

Pak40_cfb_borden_3.JPG

The Rheinmetall PAK 40 75mm gun seems to be an excellent choice for a larger weapon for a larger space!

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    My fiance is pretty petite (5'2") and she handled my CZ-75BD (9mm) pretty well- and that was with no shooting experience at all. She preferred my Beretta Minx (.22 short), and did ok with my S&W I-Frame revolver (.32 long). For a house gun, I'd look at the CZ, since its all steel, recoil is minimal for a 9mm, and is one of the most comfortable double-stack mag handguns I've ever felt.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    If you want a gun she feels comfortable with, I hope you're going to take her shopping when you actually buy it.

:+1:

She will be much more enthusiastic if she plays an active role in picking it. You are then assured that the gun fits her, so she will shoot it. It also allows you both a new shared hobby and makes you a nice guy in her eyes. ( trust me, you'll need the brownie points somewhere down the line.)
    :twocents:

Mongoose1.1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    There are a lot of suggestions about guns here but you need to carefully consider your environment before choosing a caliber. Use Jacketed hollowpoint home defense rounds and consider the energy that many of these popular calibers have. A 9mm round can potentially punch straight through your house. Buckshot pellets can penetrate drywall no problem. If you had to use the gun in combat (God-forbid) there almost always will be rounds that miss the target. Consider carefully where they are going to go. .45 ACP is the slowest moving and best caliber for the home. It's what is still used exclusively for hostage rescue (high power/low penetration of target i.e. you're only stopping or killing what you're intending to kill, not somebody next door).

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole thread. So, if that has been touched already I am sorry. I also realize this is posted under handguns.

BUT!!!

My petite (5'2 110lbs) girlfriend is much more comfortable using a shotgun..

Is that even a option for you two?

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    My girlfriend likes large framed 357s. Try a 4 inch Ruger GP100. Other options include the S&W 28/27. The S&W 586/686 is a good choice (albeit not a large frame) cause the full underlug tames the recoil a good amount. Can also be had in 7 shot variations. If price is no object I would say the S&W 327 TRR8 with a good bright light would be formidable in the home.

Top Bottom