• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    OK, Long story short, wife had class d felony, was granted an expungment April 2014, goes to purchase a gun in Feb 2015, gets denied at NICS and appeals, receives letter from FBI stating that it was not a "REAL" expungment. I sent all of the paperwork to another lawyer while waiting response from the lawyer who represented her to get a second oppinion. The 2nd lawyer I spoke with said that he files for expungments the same way our lawyer did and although most of his clients get denied the first time they eventually are able to purchase a firearm. this is what we FINALLY got back from our lawyer:

"I reviewed what you brought into my office. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about this. Since Indiana's statute does not actually expunge the record but only seals it for certain purposes, the feds do not recognize it with regard to gun ownership rights. The only thing you could do at this point is file a federal law suit to challenge the FBI's interpretation."

So...we could REALLY use some assistance/info from the fine lawyers that poke around here on INGO.

I really hope someone can help,

Thank you in advance,

BIGnTALL

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    The law on expungement changed today. There is more than one way to skin a cat. No offense to cat owners. Hire a better lawyer.

Top Bottom