• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    Tall tales are not necessarily false tales. Because it sounds outlandish to someone who was not there does not mean it did not happen...perhaps in the exactly the way it was told.

I believe part of the reason history is lost is because after you get called a liar once or twice by people who have no idea you just don't share anymore.

you may be 100% correct. My grandfather could have been telling the stone cold truth. I’m not going to claim anything without proof though. Regardless this gun will always be valuable to me. It would be amazing to find a picture of them together or something, but even without that, it’s still a good story.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The is the difference between a Fairy Tale and a War Story, the War Story starts with "There I was ... " :-). You have a fine family heirloom, congrats.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have no comment on the Patton story. I worked a gun counter for over 4 years in high school and undergrad. I heard many, many Patton stories.

When they opened the Patton museum up at Fort Knox I went to my grandfather, who had served under Patton in North Africa and Sicily, puffed up my chest and said, "Papaw they just opened the Patton Museum at Fort Knox and I would like to take you over there to see it..."

There was a long silence followed by a long drag on his Salem Cigarette....He then spit to the ground and said, "Boy...I wouldn't so much as **** on the Patton Museum if it was across the street and on fire..."

And that's when I learned not everyone that served underneath him liked Patton.....

I mean visceral contempt from my Grandfather....

Speaking of your Brazilian Papaw served alongside Brazilians in Italy at Monte Cassino and he told me they carried US Model of 1917's over there...I have had two but got rid of them...That was the deal of the century when those came over in 1990....

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Heya,

Just thought of this. When you have some time to kill, check out Getty's library of Patton pics.

George Patton Stock Photos and Pictures | Getty Images

Some neat pics in there once you wade through those of George C. Scott, George Clooney, George Takai, a dozen random Georges...etc. Too bad they kludge them up with their Getty Images tag on the face of all the photos though.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    If the story is true what must have Patton thought of your grandfather, Giving him a gun with MOP grips
    with his standard saying when asked about his Ivory grips

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    If the story is true what must have Patton thought of your grandfather, Giving him a gun with MOP grips
    with his standard saying when asked about his Ivory grips

Ivory grips would be awesome. I never really knew anything about the revolver other than what he told me and that it shot 45acp. I cleaned and oiled it for him when he was alive. I kind of figured it was a pawn shop gun he bought and had faux pear grips. The grips turned out to be real pearl, and some parts of his stories were verified through various documentation and pictures. I also figured since the cylinder is stainless and the gun is blued that it was replaced at some point, however the cylinder is stamped with the same serial number and gunsmith marks as the frame.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heya Mormprepr,

To get an idea of what your grandpa looked like in 1944 (and his brothers), check out the Indy Star from April 16, 1944.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/104851456/

:)

Might be worth going through the hoops for a temporary free subscription to grab that page and save it.

(I'm thinking its gotta be the same guy.)

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    Heya Mormprepr,

To get an idea of what your grandpa looked like in 1944 (and his brothers), check out the Indy Star from April 16, 1944.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/104851456/

:)

Might be worth going through the hoops for a temporary free subscription to grab that page and save it.

(I'm thinking its gotta be the same guy.)

it is, my family actually has copies of the original. If you’ve ever watched the discover channel about general custer or the Wild West, you’ve probably also seen Dr. Paul Hutton. Dr. Hutton is my grandfathers, brothers, son. That’s another one of those stories we were always told growing up and were like, “Sure he is...”, but I’ve actually talked to him through email and he confirmed it and sent me an autographed copy of one of his books.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Tall tales are not necessarily false tales. Because it sounds outlandish to someone who was not there does not mean it did not happen...perhaps in the exactly the way it was told.

I believe part of the reason history is lost is because after you get called a liar once or twice by people who have no idea you just don't share anymore.

Agreed, a certain level of "sea story" is mandatory for a cool gun.:D

Sea story=puffery in the gun culture.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh that's awesome.

My family had a similar story done during WWI in the Indy Star when my great-grandfather's family members were overseas. Pretty neat stuff.

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    Oh that's awesome.

My family had a similar story done during WWI in the Indy Star when my great-grandfather's family members were overseas. Pretty neat stuff.

That’s awesome! It’s great to find stuff like that. Future generations will be more fortunate with technology like it is. They’ll have way more documentation than they could want. Pictures, videos, FB posts, YouTube. Someday someone will be like “Check out this old YouTube vide, that’s my great grandpa when he was in Iraq.”

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    going to take a long shot here but have you contacted smith and Wesson for a historical letter?

Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation - Letter Process - Insuring that the rich history of Smith & Wesson will continue for generations to come

it's 75.00 but any historical information that they have will be sent to you for example, if the gun was made in 1950 then grandpa was pulling your leg, but the info might give credence to his story (on the chance that smith and Wesson gave that gun to general patton) it could be documented from the factory, and give the provenance you need.

and on a long shot, there's a military museum in Vincennes (Indiana Military Museum) that has a few of the generals items, I was there one day, and they have a colt 32 acp that the display belonged to general patton, I said out loud, I wonder if that was really his, a docent happened to be behind me and said "do you see that picture on top of the display" I replied yes (it was the general sitting in a overstuffed chair with a few children on his lap, and at his feet), he pointed at one of the kids and said "that's one of general pattons grandchildren, he's on our board of directors, he gave us the pistol"

so you might be able to reach out to them, and see if they'll give you his contact info, on a longshot chance you might be able to verify that it was a patton owned gun.

just a thought

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When they opened the Patton museum up at Fort Knox I went to my grandfather, who had served under Patton in North Africa and Sicily, puffed up my chest and said, "Papaw they just opened the Patton Museum at Fort Knox and I would like to take you over there to see it..."

There was a long silence followed by a long drag on his Salem Cigarette....He then spit to the ground and said, "Boy...I wouldn't so much as **** on the Patton Museum if it was across the street and on fire..."

And that's when I learned not everyone that served underneath him liked Patton.....

I mean visceral contempt from my Grandfather....

Speaking of your Brazilian Papaw served alongside Brazilians in Italy at Monte Cassino and he told me they carried US Model of 1917's over there...I have had two but got rid of them...That was the deal of the century when those came over in 1990....

My paternal grandfather was under Patton, but he was so young and busy driving his oil truck (he stupidly raised his hand after basic when they asked if anyone could "double clutch"). But never heard him say a word pro or con about him.

Yeah, wish I had bought a gun safe full of Brazilian M1917s in 1990.

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    going to take a long shot here but have you contacted smith and Wesson for a historical letter?

Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation - Letter Process - Insuring that the rich history of Smith & Wesson will continue for generations to come

it's 75.00 but any historical information that they have will be sent to you for example, if the gun was made in 1950 then grandpa was pulling your leg, but the info might give credence to his story (on the chance that smith and Wesson gave that gun to general patton) it could be documented from the factory, and give the provenance you need.

and on a long shot, there's a military museum in Vincennes (Indiana Military Museum) that has a few of the generals items, I was there one day, and they have a colt 32 acp that the display belonged to general patton, I said out loud, I wonder if that was really his, a docent happened to be behind me and said "do you see that picture on top of the display" I replied yes (it was the general sitting in a overstuffed chair with a few children on his lap, and at his feet), he pointed at one of the kids and said "that's one of general pattons grandchildren, he's on our board of directors, he gave us the pistol"

so you might be able to reach out to them, and see if they'll give you his contact info, on a longshot chance you might be able to verify that it was a patton owned gun.

just a thought

Very cool. I will absolutely do more research. I just needed to know where to start. I appreciate all of the help guys!

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    My grandfather had always told me it was from his days in Europe, but he always told tall tales too, so you could never be really sure.
    If the 1917 revolver is military it will be marked U.S. Army Model 1917 on the butt and be marked "UNITED STATES PROPERTY". A civilian .45 DA Army is not marked.

I bought a Brazilian when a huge container of them came in circa 1990.
    I purchased a Brazilian Model 1937 for $150 back then. It came with a photo copy of a S&W Letter covering the Brazilian contract serial numbers. My revolver serial was from before the contract but it still has the Brazilian crest on the side plate.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had an uncle that was part of Patton's group that was in the relief of Bastogne and then help liberate some of the fancy mansions in Germany :-)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The 1917 Hand Ejector was a popular gun in both military and civilian forms. Favored by Indiana Jones in raiders of the Lost Ark.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    It is most likely a model 26....always wanted one! I don't believe the grips would be original though. One thing you will need are moon clips because the 45ACP is a rimless round. You will love this pistol!

Top Bottom