• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlouisalbert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Elkhart
    My hunting rifle(Marlin .44 Mag) is being reclaimed by it's owner, which leaves me without a hunting rifle. I want to start getting into fowl hunting as well and am thinking about finding a shotgun with interchangeable(smooth/rifled) barrels so I can use the shotgun for both deer and fowl hunting. The problem is that I know next to nothing about shotguns and need your help!!!! I do not have a lot of money to spend, so please keep that in mind while you are making your suggestions.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Either Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. I have the Mossberg, came with a smothbore slug barrel (rifle sights) and a fixed choke field barrel. I have since bought a variable choke barrel. Fully rifled barrels are available, and I think they sell a combo with the rifled barrel and a variable choke barrel. That is what I would recommend. But, I will say that I could shoot deer all day long out to 75 yds with my smoothbore slug barrel. Rifled slugs (smooth barrel) are so much cheaper than sabot slugs (rifled barrel), that it may make sense for you to go that way, especially if you don't shoot much past 75 yds.

If you intend to use a scope, go with the cantilever style scope mount. Mounting a scope of the receiver of a pump can be an exercise in frustration because there's not really a good lock-up between the barrel and receiver.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Mossberg often has the 500 with both barrels for sale at local Gander Mountains. I bought mine as a set for around $300 on sale a few years ago. Comes with both barrels and the Mossy is a decent gun. Check Ganders sales flier for it.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I have a remington 870 with both a 28" field barrel and a rifled slug barrel. You can shoot rifled slugs out of a smooth barrel as long as you have the right choke. I love my 870 and highly recommend it. I use it for deer, birds, clays, and am getting ready to buy a shorter barrel so I can use it for hd as well. The nice thing about the 870 or the 500 is you can start with a base model and add barrels, stocks, and accessories as your resources allow.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    If you could give a price you are wanting to spend that would help out a lot. If you are not going to be hunting geese or ducks you could probably get away with a 20 gauge instead of a 12 gauge (no one has said what gauge).

I would try and get a used semi-auto also instead of a pump action gun. I have hunted most of my life in IN with a remington 1100 20 gauge. It is great for smaller birds, rabbits, squirrels, and with a rifled barrel and slugs deer.

mlouisalbert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Elkhart
    If you could give a price you are wanting to spend that would help out a lot. If you are not going to be hunting geese or ducks you could probably get away with a 20 gauge instead of a 12 gauge (no one has said what gauge).

I would try and get a used semi-auto also instead of a pump action gun. I have hunted most of my life in IN with a remington 1100 20 gauge. It is great for smaller birds, rabbits, squirrels, and with a rifled barrel and slugs deer.

I was not quite sure of the price range that I would be looking at, that's why I did not initially give one. I would like to stay around the $500 range, and I figured that the autoloading would be more expensive so I figured that would be out of the question. The birds that I would be hunting are geese and ducks, so from what you have already sad I am guessing that I will have to look exclusively for a 12 gauge.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I think that you should be able to find a used semi-auto 12 gauge in the $500 range. Or you could look for one of the Stoegers m3000's. They use the Benelli inertia action and can be had for $439 new! Add a rifled barrel later or just shoot slugs out of the cylinder bore choke tube.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    It's more than your wanting to spend but DrewTitans has a Mossberg 935spx with waterfowl barrel and rifled slug barrel he's asking $700. Send him a PM if your interested.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    For your budget, you can get into a semi auto or pump. All mentioned previously are good serviceable shotguns.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    As said before you can't go wrong with a mossberg 500 combo, I'm good out past 100 yards with my smoothbore slug barrel, using 1oz rifled slugs. The field barrel does a number on clays.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Remington 870 or 1100/1187 if you prefer a semi-auto...

Great guns... Just my take but I'd go with combo with dedicated slug barrel and vent rib field barrel... The newer slug barrels are available as cantilever or riffle sights scope will stay dead on even after barrel change.

:twocents: Mosseberg is also decent but newer especially in the combos most places offer up on sale don't have the most consistent trigger setup...

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I love my benelli nova, but accessories/barrels are way too expensive and way too scarce.
    As others have said, get a rem 870 or a mossy 500, in a combo pack or just add on the other barrels later

Top Bottom