• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I am a member of the American Legion, post 80 and my commander asked me to square away a .38 he has been holding on to, and one which we do not know the story. I would like some help at identifying it as it a a nice revolver and pretty interesting.

It is a chrome or nickle finish. I sadly cannot tell because I hate shiny stuff, so I never had a chance to learn. The barrel is approx 4 inches, and has "Smith and Wesson, Springfield mass. USA" on the right side of the barrel, with a string of dates and what looks like an iron cross on both sides of the etching. Left side of the barrel says "38 S&W SPECIAL & US SERVICE CTG" followed by a hard to read number 9 or the letter S. The revolver also has 6 shots cylinder, fixed sights, and a S&W trade mark stamp on the right side of the frame. It is a double action, and is stamped with what I assume to be serial numbers on the bottom of the grip butt and under the barrel, both reading "47873" I included some pictures. Thanks for your time.
    CIMG4316.JPG
    CIMG4320.JPG
    CIMG4323.JPG
    I popped open the cylinder and found the numbers "2540 2" but that was it, I cant find a model number on it.

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Checking the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Ed.:

.38 Military & Police Model of 1902 1[SUP]st[/SUP] change

Barrel marked “38 S&W Special CTG & US Service CTG”

Serial number range 33804-62449

Manufactured c. 1903 - 1904

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Checking the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Ed.:

.38 Military & Police Model of 1902 1[SUP]st[/SUP] change

Barrel marked “38 S&W Special CTG & US Service CTG”

Serial number range 33804-62449

Manufactured c. 1903 - 1904

With a moniker like "jinks" it is no surprise that this gent nailed it....

To the OP grab a fedora, put in on and if given the opportunity point the weapon at the target, one handed and chest level (point shooting) and growl, "You dirty rat...You killed my brother" and try to have a filterless Pall Mall (or a half smoked stogie if so inclined) clamped in the corner of your mouth as you shoot it....

Top Bottom