• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I bought a Remington 700 today at an auction, but now that I've got it home, I cannot match it up with any of their production models. It is a .280 Rem caliber with a very heavy stainless, ported barrel (it may be custom since there are no identifying marks other than ".280 Rem"). The receiver is blued and just says Remington 700. It has a brown laminated thumbhole stock. I thought it might be a Model 700VL SS Thumbhole, but neither the Remington website or Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values list it in .280 Rem.

Do you think this might be a special model or a custom deal or just a hodge-podge of stock, barrel and receiver? Would appreciate any input.

Several pictures of it are at Remington Rifle | Proxibid®

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If the barrel is not marked Remington it isn't from the factory. Have you taken it out of the stock? There are a few barrels that will come unmarked and can be had in 280. Run a patch through and if you can feel tool marks you maybe have a Shaw...

ETA: Missed the link. That is definitely a replacement tube. Stock is maybe a Fajen? They usually do the thin-above-the-thumbhole thing. Whomever mounted the scope has a nice sense of humor. 280 is a great choice on an L/A receiver though.

Last edited:

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I am certainly looking forward to shooting it, but if you're referring to the scope base (which I consider to be a combat base), yes, I'll be changing that soon. I question if this thing has ever been shot...it's got a great scope on it, but the scope is so far towards the rear, you can't see through it. If you shot it "as is", you're in for a bad case of scope eye.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I finally got around to stripping this rifle down to see exactly what I bought. Although I haven't shot it yet, I'm feeling pretty good at this point...the receiver is a Reminton 700 with a Rifle Basix L-3 trigger. The thumbhole stock is from Accurate Innovations. Scope is a Burris Black Diamond 8-32x50mm.

The barrel is still a mystery...it's a very heavy stainless steel barrel with no markings other than "280 Rem". The muzzle end is a full inch in diameter and is ported with 3 sets of 5 small holes aligned with the axis of the barrel. If looking down the barrel, the holes would be at 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock. I've looked at a lot of barrel mfr websites, but can't link it to any of them. Any ideas on who made the barrel?

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    How many grooves?

Conventional rifling?

How does it shoot?

It may well remain a mystery but you can narrow it down some.

Yep, conventional rifling...Looks like there are 6 lands/grooves (hard to tell with the ports). Haven't shot it yet.

Top Bottom