• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Im looking to build a long range tactical rifle and need help? I dont wantto build remington 700, but does anyone know of another brand that would be a good base, I was thinking of a few different brands like savage, tikka or howa, I just dont know which models offer aftermarket accessories for them, I tried looking them up and cant really find anything, does anyone have any suggestions on a good rifle, thanks

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Savage is catching up to Remington in aftermarket parts, so they would have triggers or many other parts you want available for them. The others will also have parts available just not as many. You could also start with a custom action that you can turn into whatever you want as well.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I vote savage if you want a shooter for cheaper, and that you can build yourself or for relatively cheap gunsmith fees... remington if you are wanting a higher end precision rifle.

i am partial to savage if you are not going to sink a bunch of money into it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have a few savages, and they have a great forum also Savage Shooters Forum - Index

I would never buy a Rem 700, as I would never be able do something with the results of it that I can't do with my Savage 10. So why spend the extra $. If I had better eyes, and decided one day to shoot competition, then I would consider the 700, but as of now, I will never be able to out shoot my Savage.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Im looking to build a long range tactical rifle and need help? I dont wantto build remington 700, but does anyone know of another brand that would be a good base, I was thinking of a few different brands like savage, tikka or howa, I just dont know which models offer aftermarket accessories for them, I tried looking them up and cant really find anything, does anyone have any suggestions on a good rifle, thanks
    savage rifles are a good cheap rifle i have a 110 e i will be building up when im able to get some money together

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    as far as avaibility of aftermarket parts the number 1 rifle is the 700 as you already know

the number 2 rifle as far as avaibility of parts is the winchester 70

number 3 would be savage

i would not heistate a bit to do a build on a winchester 70 action. i bought 1 model 70 custom build, im machining my 2nd model 70 build on sunday.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't know what kind of budget you are working with but if you have the money Surgeon makes one of the best starting points for a top shelf long range rifle. The things that sold me on it are the integrated scope mounting and recoil lug. The bolt uses mostly Remington 700 parts so repairs if needed will not involve alot of down time. They can build them or you can buy the action and have it built.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I don't know what kind of budget you are working with but if you have the money Surgeon makes one of the best starting points for a top shelf long range rifle. The things that sold me on it are the integrated scope mounting and recoil lug. The bolt uses mostly Remington 700 parts so repairs if needed will not involve alot of down time. They can build them or you can buy the action and have it built.

if custom action is in your budget i cant say enough good about stiller.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Budget

If budget is the primary consideration and you're going to build on just the action you can always start with a Stevens 200. It's a Savage without the Accu-trigger and Accu-stock but with the Savage accuracy, for half the money. Available in long or short action. Or.......you can buy an excellent Savage target action w/Accu-trigger for a lot more money. Personally, if I was going to build a 1000 yard rifle and money was an issue (which it would be), I'd start with the Stevens. Or.......you can just buy a Savage F-Class rifle over the counter and be done with it.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Howa 1500, if for whatever reason you want to avoid the best platform.

Couldn't ever see a reason for a Tikka or a Savage.

If you prefer to buy versus build, AI.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is a serious question...What is a "long range tactical" rifle?

What does that mean? What is it's purpose? Is it a look or is it a performance spec?

Thanks in advance...

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    This is a serious question...What is a "long range tactical" rifle?

What does that mean? What is it's purpose? Is it a look or is it a performance spec?

I'm not the OP, but I always assume the person wants to compete in tactical rifle competitions.

Though I'm often disappointed.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    IMO nowadays "tatical" is just a buzz word, people use it way to much. You could have a great product and it might not sell good, but add the word "tactical" and watch out every tom, dick, and harry is beating down your door trying to buy it or copy it.
    "long range tactical rifle" to me means a compatition rifle set up in .308 or larger caliber for shooting extended yardages to 1000yrds.

savage 1212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Savage, having both a Remington 700 and Savage the out of the box accuracy of the Model 12's are very good. I bedded the actions on my Savages one a LPV and the other a LRP both in 223 and they are my go to guns for groundhogs and factory class in competition out to 400 yards. Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooter Supply in Delphos, Ohio is the Savage guru if you want an action timed and trued.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    IMO nowadays "tatical" is just a buzz word, people use it way to much. You could have a great product and it might not sell good, but add the word "tactical" and watch out every tom, dick, and harry is beating down your door trying to buy it or copy it.
    "long range tactical rifle" to me means a compatition rifle set up in .308 or larger caliber for shooting extended yardages to 1000yrds.

why 308 or larger? i fully intend on making a couple tactical matches with my 260 this year? i know alot of folks who enter 6.5 cartriges and a few that enter 7mms

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

Thanks for the clarification. This is my competition rifle set up in .308 for shooting out to 1000 yrds. It is a 40X action and a 30 inch 1X13 Kreiger, Palma taper barrel. Iron sights and a sling.

Somehow, I don't think the OP asked about one of these. :):

Don't mind me, I'm just having some fun with the "tactical" description. Maybe if I hang a flashlight on the side of it??

23sbtro.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    why 308 or larger? i fully intend on making a couple tactical matches with my 260 this year? i know alot of folks who enter 6.5 cartriges and a few that enter 7mms

I was giving a general idea for long range. Since He did not ask what calibers were used in a tactical long range rifle. Most folks generally think .308 and up.

Top Bottom