• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Alright, I'm down to two different deer guns... The H&R Ultra Slug Hunter or Mossberg 500 slugster.

Each has its positives and negatives...

Let me know what you would get and why...

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I'm gonna say 870, so many parts and knowledge available. Mine will shoot Skoal can groups with a smoothbore slug barrel and Remington sluggers at 100 yds.

They may be a little more money than the others but, you can't go wrong.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I had a H&R and sold it last year. That thing is super heavy and built like a tank... but will wear you out if you plan on doing any walking at all. I would also go with the pump for a quick second shot if the need should arise. I've got a Winchester 1300 with a fully rifled barrel and a Remington 11-87 with a rifled barrel. This year... I'll be fielding my AR in .458 SOCOM. Thats not an option for the faint-of-heart since ammo is expensive.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Between your two choices listed I'd go with the Mossberg. They're known to be good shooters, priced reasonable, and is a shotgun you can make very versatile for more than just deer.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    H&R

Single shot helps concentrate your mind. I'd get it in a 20 ga. The 20's are built on 12 ga frames and it's a load but not as bad as the 12. It's heavy enough that recoil isn't an issue and mine will put Remmy Buckhammer's in a nice clover leaf at 100 yds. If you're set on the 12 I'd get the Mossy but I'd be sure and get one with a cantilevered rail if you're gonna scope it. Keeps the relationship btwn scope and bore the same for every shot.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I just looked at a few options and was leaning towards the slugster, but I just realized I can add a 24" rifled barrel to my 930 and use that... I think that is probably the route I'm going to go...

On a side note, is there a capacity limit for shotguns when hunting deer?

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I have 2 500's one 12 and one 20 for my son. They are both amazing accurate with the new Hornady slugs out to 150 yards. The 12 is probably good to 200, but I have never shot that far. Other shotguns are tighter and cleaner like the 870, but for the money I really like them. I bought the 12 ga in 1992 and hunted with it every season putting lots of meat in the freezer. I have never use the H&R though.

happy hunting either way :)

YoungBlood21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Greenfield
    I own a Mossberg 500 as well. It was the field and deer combo so it came with a rifled slug barrel for deer hunting and a smooth bore barrel for skeet/trap shooting and bird hunting. As Taylorz71 above me said they are quite accurate guns and for the price they can't really be beaten.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I have a 500 20 gauge with rifled barrel and it is extremely accurate with hornaday sst slugs, I paid $200 for it at the indy and have it for about 8 years

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just looked at a few options and was leaning towards the slugster, but I just realized I can add a 24" rifled barrel to my 930 and use that... I think that is probably the route I'm going to go...

On a side note, is there a capacity limit for shotguns when hunting deer?

I don't thinkanyone has answered your question about capacity limit. There isn't one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The 930 seems to rattle a bit so does the 500. Not much but a little noise.

One of my 870's has the mossburg rifled barrel. It works and groups nearly as well as my Hasting ported rifled barrel at 1/4 the price. It does look ugly but no one see's it in the woods.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    What Brownie said... The Ithaca 37 was the Original Deerslayer (they Copyrighted the name). Often found in Gunshows, and now being resurrected by Ithaca under new management.

Top Bottom