• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    I purchased a Leupold Mark AR 3x9x40 to mount on a Rock River Elite Operator. I got a Burris PEPR (not quick detach) mount. I took it to my local gunsmith to mount for me. He mounted it and could not get it on the grid sighting it in. He put it on another Rock River, and it came right in. A few people looked at it, and they all said the receiver looked like it was not square to the world. The rifle was sent back to Rock River, and they put a new receiver on it. I don't know why they did this, as gunsmith is out of town today and his help told me this. He got it back yesterday and tried it again. He still cannot get it on the grid. It is ok for elevation, but there is not enough adjustment to the left to get it there. They think if they turn the mount around backwards, it will come in. I don't really want to do this, as I paid a good price for this mount, and I think it should work as intended. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here, or have any ideas on what to do? Any help is appreciated.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Have they tried actually going to the range and not using modern technology? The targets don't lie. I would take it to the range before I made anymore assumptions.

What make and model of a mount is it anyways?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have had great experiences w/ those mounts. My gut tells me that I would not suspect the mount.

that being said, mounting it backwards COMPLETELY wastes the purpose for buying a forward set, one piece base to begin with. I would be looking for problems elsewhere... Or take it to the range and find out for sure.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    first try to bore sight it. look down the bore and get an idea where bullets will impact and then try to adjust the scope, that's how I do it. that will get u on paper. I have had this happen before, and it was on a friends rock river. I didn't blame the mounts but rather it was probully the scope. and I don't remember what kind of scope it was. I do remember that it was some sort of cheap Russian scope. and we ran out of adjustment. it dosnt look good but what we done was cut up pop cans and made shims. the shims if I remember went on the rear mount. that's one thing you could try, but with a high dollar scope and if everything is true, you shouldn't have to.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    first try to bore sight it. look down the bore and get an idea where bullets will impact and then try to adjust the scope, that's how I do it. that will get u on paper. I have had this happen before, and it was on a friends rock river. I didn't blame the mounts but rather it was probully the scope. and I don't remember what kind of scope it was. I do remember that it was some sort of cheap Russian scope. and we ran out of adjustment. it dosnt look good but what we done was cut up pop cans and made shims. the shims if I remember went on the rear mount. that's one thing you could try, but with a high dollar scope and if everything is true, you shouldn't have to.

Thats a good point. Abuse the walmart return system. Grab another scope and rings from a wally world (or borrow somebody else's) and see if the problem exists with the new scope. You can always return the scope if its indeed something else.

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    I picked up my rifle, and they had mounted the base backwards on purpose. They said it should be on the paper, so I should be able to get it sighted in. They never shot it. I took scope and base off and mounted it the right way. Took it to the range, and had it sighted in, with just a few shots. Thanks for the advice to take it to the range, and don't depend on gadgets so much.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I picked up my rifle, and they had mounted the base backwards on purpose. They said it should be on the paper, so I should be able to get it sighted in. They never shot it. I took scope and base off and mounted it the right way. Took it to the range, and had it sighted in, with just a few shots. Thanks for the advice to take it to the range, and don't depend on gadgets so much.

Considering it was not installed correctly and was impossible to shoot properly (as opposed to front or back didn't really matter) if you paid them to mount it, I'd demand a refund. What you paid them to do was wrong and it negatively impacted the performance. You had to redo their work, negating any benefit that you paid money to receive. IMHO they owe you. If you sent lead down range while testing their shoddy work, I'd demand compensation for those futile rounds as well. (But be nice and tell them you will not charge for the rounds you used to verify YOUR mount job)

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    Actually, he did not charge me anything for mounting it. I bought the mount from him, and he did it for nothing. If you buy a scope there, he mounts it for free also. Probably wouldn't do if you bought a set of cheap rings, but a costlier base, he did. It was not the owner of the shop that mounted the base, but a part time employee.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I just use ammo to sight it in. If nothing else it also does a function test on ammo. What's an extra 15 or 20 rounds really gonna hurt :D

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Sorry if this seems like a thread jack, but why did you have someone else mount your scope for you? Maybe I am doing it wrong, but all of my guns with scopes including my AR with a one piece mount were very easy to set up and sight in.

Top Bottom