• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    It looks like the tip of the firing pin/hammer is either broken off or bent. From what I can tell it doesn't come out far enough to strike the round.

Here are some pics-
    IMG_9965.jpg

IMG_9964.jpg

Does anyone know if I can still get a new hammer for this?

The only other problem it has is that is it very hard to pull the hammer back or the trigger double action. This isn't the case when it broken open, so the problem seems to be cylinder being stiff. That should be taken care of with a good cleaning which it'll get tomorrow. I'm sure being in an attic for the past 20+ years didn't help it.

Any other info about it is appreciated. Age, value, etc.

Full pic-
    IMG_9973.jpg

Last edited:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    You might be able to find what you're looking for here. If you can't, and are willing to sell it, i have been looking for a 999/sportsman parts gun for quite a while. I've got one my grand-dad trained me on, and i'd like to have a spare. Good luck!

All Availble Harrington Richardson Gun Parts,Harrington Richardson Pistol parts, Harrington Richardson Shotgun parts, Harrington Richardson Obsolete Pistol Parts, Harrington Richardson Gun Stocks, Harrsington Richardson Semi Finish Gun Stocks, Harrin

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Your gun looks like an older one, but without a serial no#, it's hard to tell. A day or so ago, somebody else was inquiring about value, age, etc. with a serial no# of 75xxx. I posted the following response:

The following is verbatim from Fjestad's 31st edition (copyright 2010), "Blue Book of Gun Values":
    "Sportsman Double Action Model 999 Large Framed Top Break -
    .22 LR or .22WRF cal., 7 (.22WRF cal.) or 9 shot, blue finish, 6 in. ribbed barrel, safety rim cylinder, automatic cylinder stop, adj. rear sight, three different front sights - fixed full blad, Partidge type, and Partridge type pinned to barrel top rib, finger rest trigger guard, one-piece oversized checkered walnut grips, birds-head grip fram (Rice frame), frame mounted firing pin, hammer face is flat, cylinder release is long pivoting lever on right side of frame (there are two different version of this), serial numbered in its own series from 01 up to at least 89761 by the end of 1939, starting in 1940 letter codes were used. Mrg. 1932 - 1952.
    100% - $425
    98% - $365
    95% - $315
    90% - $275
    80% - $235
    70% - $195

Early production until about 1933 the letter code "D" was used to denote double action.
    First Variation; round heavy weight ribbed barrel with non-adjustable front sight blade - 1932 - to before April 18, 1933.
    Second Variation; adjustable front sight - 1933 (after 4-18-1933)
    Third Variation; firing pin moved to hammer - 1934
    Fourth Variation; three inch barrel was offered - 1935
    Fifth Variation; two patent dates marked on cylinder (before there was only one) - 1936 (after 3-17) - 1937
    Sixth Variation; top of barrel markings moved to right side of barrel - 1937 - 1939
    Seventh Variation; .22 WFR caliber dropped, 3 inch barrel dropped - 1940 - 1941
    Eighth Variation; one piece over size plastic grips are standar, limited production during WWII Years - 19421 - 1952"

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    I shot one of these when I was a kid and I seem to remember that the DA pull was very heavy and that may just be normal for this gun. I am not an expert but seemed to be just the way it was.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    if you cock the hammer and ride it down with your thumb, will the firing pin protrude far enough to strike a cartridge rim? this model won't allow the hammer forward without pulling the trigger to the rear, i'm almost 100% certain of it. i'm at work and don't have mine handy!

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I have one made in 1934. It's also a Double Action. The DA is buttery smooth. It does sound like you have some sort of an issue there.

I have a .pdf of the disassembly of that model. It was difficult to find, but I found it in a book at the library and scanned it. It would help you in removing all parts for cleaning and inspection. I would be happy to email that to you if you PM me your email address.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the info guys.

Cat-herder, I found that out on another forum and I'm happy to report the revolver fired just fine. Thanks for the info.

fc57, I cleaned the hell out of it and it's pretty darn smooth now. The cylinder was really gummed up and didn't turn well at all.

Calvin, I'll send you a PM. Thanks.
    Also, when you take the cylinder off, is there anything other than the spring, the metal base for the spring, and the ejector? I'm having problems with the ejector resetting. I have to push it down to load the rounds. If I'm not careful when dumping the brass the ejector will fall right out.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I just fixed my H&R after finding the parts in a Numrich catalog. I would definitely check with them. Their catalogs can be had for around $30. The bonus is that they have exploded diagrams on all the guns they offer parts for.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Also, when you take the cylinder off, is there anything other than the spring, the metal base for the spring, and the ejector? I'm having problems with the ejector resetting. I have to push it down to load the rounds. If I'm not careful when dumping the brass the ejector will fall right out.

I got this problem fixed thanks to your PDF Calvin. If you look at this diagram, I didn't realize that the ejector and part #12 screwed together.Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Thanks for your help guys. The only other thing is that the firing pin is still bent, but I'm going to take it to a smith and see if he can straighten it out.

Top Bottom