• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Yes I reload and have an AR15 with a 20" RRA heavy varmint barrel and have a FN SPRA1 in .308. The purpose of this build is for prairie dog out to 300yds.

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I'm getting ready to build a Rem 700 short action for varmint hunting and I'm stuck between .223, .243, and .22-250. any help will be appreciated.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I'm getting ready to build a Rem 700 short action for varmint hunting and I'm stuck between .223, .243, and .22-250. any help will be appreciated.

Do you reload?

I'd say that ammunition availability/pricing would be a major factor in my decision making progress.

Personally I tend to stick with the most common caliber / equipment types I can get when adding firearms. If I were in your situation I'd be looking at .223 simply because there are tons of parts/ammunition for a rem700 in .223.

If you're worried about ballistics performance for longer ranges I'd be looking at moving up to something like .308 instead of a higher performance/more obscure .22 platform.:twocents:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Gotta define the mission first. Varmints at close/long range? What size? What level of accuracy do you need?

The .223 will take care of most varmits out to a couple hundred yards with performance falling off as the distance/size of varmint increases. It's also the cheapest to shoot and easiest to shoot.

Shooting medium range in heavy winds and the .243 is a better bet. Barrel life is intermediate.

The .22-250 will flat shoot out to 400 yards pretty well and is good for small targets at variable ranges (less need to figure bullet drop), but burns barrels faster than any of the three.

Top Bottom