• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Hey everyone, I'm coming down to Indy to take a first time shooter out this weekend to the range. Any recommendation for a friendly indoor place near Castleton Square Mall?

thanks, Pat

I should add we will be shooting handguns...

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And prbellum too if you are int he Avon area.

I avoid pop guns and dons guns. They are the rudest/crappiest ranges in town (in that order)

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    tim's in Westfield is a nice facility but they're pretty uptight on their various range rules and restrictions. Also not the best prices around. Indy Trading Post range on south Madison south of downtown is not the most technologically advanced but they are super friendly, inexpensive to shoot at, and the gun store has a nice selection. I like them so much I am willing to drive down from Noblesville and avoid Tim's.

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I avoid pop guns and dons guns. They are the rudest/crappiest ranges in town (in that order)

I'm glad it isn't just me that has had a bad experience in Pops Guns. I went in there one day with a pocket full of cash looking for 10mm ammo in stock and the older guy behind the counter was as rude as anyone could possibly be. It's close to where I live but I'll never spend a penny in that place after that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm glad it isn't just me that has had a bad experience in Pops Guns. I went in there one day with a pocket full of cash looking for 10mm ammo in stock and the older guy behind the counter was as rude as anyone could possibly be. It's close to where I live but I'll never spend a penny in that place after that.

Oh yeah... We have had similar interactions with said employee...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/beech-grove-firearms/331661-bgf-vs-pops.html#post4773003

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My two cents is to drive the extra distance for Beech Grove Firearms (BGF) on the corner of Emerson and Troy (Albany) in Beech Grove. Best indoor range around. If you don't have the time for that drive, then Tim's should be fine. I've had people I know go there and have a great time, but as previously mentioned, they're pretty particular about some of their range rules and are a bit pricier than other ranges. Don't forget to post back where you ended up and what you thought of the place :)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Personally I prefer Parabellum.. For me the drive is about the same to BGF and Parabellum but it's hard to get in and out of BGF and at the right time of day the traffic around 465 and Emerson can be a nightmare. Parabellum also has a great selection of firearms to rent if you are interested in something like that. I think the Tavor they have spends about as much time in the range as it does on the rental wall.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Your choice, everyone seems to have their opinions, and of course you all know what they are like, I have a POPS indoor membership and my wife and I use their range twice a month. I have not had the experience others have had over the years, we have been there and while I have not been to the other ranges mentioned, I do notice POPS is usualy busy, so people do go there. Give them all a try I say, pick the one you like best. Better yet, drop by on a thursday afternoon, around 1:30 and be my guest. You bring your gun(s) and ammo (no steel or aluminum cases), and for only $5 you can use my lane and they provide you a target. You can rent different firearms there too.

Again, you asked for info on ranges on the east side of Indy, plenty to choose from.

Have a nice day, and let us know how it go's.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Your choice, everyone seems to have their opinions, and of course you all know what they are like, I have a POPS indoor membership and my wife and I use their range twice a month. I have not had the experience others have had over the years, we have been there and while I have not been to the other ranges mentioned, I do notice POPS is usualy busy, so people do go there. Give them all a try I say, pick the one you like best. Better yet, drop by on a thursday afternoon, around 1:30 and be my guest. You bring your gun(s) and ammo (no steel or aluminum cases), and for only $5 you can use my lane and they provide you a target. You can rent different firearms there too.

Again, you asked for info on ranges on the east side of Indy, plenty to choose from.

Have a nice day, and let us know how it go's.

I'm with you on this, I been to pop's and actually they have been very helpful more than a few times and have not had any issues. Tim's is a nice place and they also been really nice to me but like others mention the safety rules are more strict than any other place I ever been to (not necessarily a bad thing), Beech groove is a great place as they are very helpful and the range is really nice and safe.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I was in pops 2 weeks ago since the sign is down I figured maybe a change for the good. NOPE same rude treatment as before. I asked to see a gun and they acted like I asked to sleep with his wife. Prices are high the workers are rude! I suggest you do yourself a favor and avoid the place at all cost. I live about 5 mins away and I avoid the place. I did try yet once again to give them a chance.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Sorry to jack the thread in part, but does anyone know a good range near South Bend for shotguns?

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    I've been to
    I've been to Tims 4 times. I live in Fishers and it is a little closer than BGF - but not much. I went through their safety video, 3 pieces of CYA paperwork every trip, and put up with the attitude three times. The 4th time I again went through the paperwork and thought I was ready to start poking holes in paper, picked up my range bag when the guy said "i need to see your ammo." Never having been asked that before at a range, I asked "Why?" He said "I need to see your ammo". I asked "Why?" He said" I need to see your ammo !!." I asked for my drivers license back and spent my money that day - and probably in the future - at BGF! I'm old and don't suffer fools gladly. Money talks and mine walked!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I agree. I will take my hard earned dollars and spend them somewhere where I enjoy going even if it cost me a little more.

Threads like this are great for our members and newcomers. I think some people forget they are running a business and without customers they soon will go out of business.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I've been to I've been to Tims 4 times. I live in Fishers and it is a little closer than BGF - but not much. I went through their safety video, 3 pieces of CYA paperwork every trip, and put up with the attitude three times. The 4th time I again went through the paperwork and thought I was ready to start poking holes in paper, picked up my range bag when the guy said "i need to see your ammo." Never having been asked that before at a range, I asked "Why?" He said "I need to see your ammo". I asked "Why?" He said" I need to see your ammo !!." I asked for my drivers license back and spent my money that day - and probably in the future - at BGF! I'm old and don't suffer fools gladly. Money talks and mine walked!

I don't understand why you'd have to sign paperwork each trip. I watched the video, got my card, signed the paper that said I understand these rules, and done. When I fired Andrew's (Profire) MP5K there, I didn't have to sign anything. If I'm shooting in tight spaces (especially with rifles), I want a range this is very strict about my family's safety (my wife shoots with me).

And why do they check your ammo? Let's ask the guys at Kodiak Range: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...20-idiot-who-damaged-kodiak-firing-range.html

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Thanks for all of the input guys, I'm going to take my niece to Tim's, they are close to her apartment and a few other places we are going to go.

There's also going to be three of us with my wife and from what I see on there website we can share one lane.
    I will report back and let you all know how it went.

STEELCORE, thanks for the offer but I'm only coming down to Indy for Saturday.

Stay safe, Pat

Top Bottom