• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    Just purchased a 9mm open gun set up to run 125 PF. Can I get some input on what slow burning powder would make compensator work the best? I will use a FMJ 115gr bullet.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'm by no means an open expert and never shot open, just powder puff minor pf for production.

You can make 125 pf (minor) with about any pistol powder, at least from all the variations I've used, that's easy. But I'm curious why your shooting open and only striving to make minor? What gun are you shooting? I would think for the comp to really do its job you'd want to be pushing the projectile pretty quick, again no open expert.

CB45 would be the guy to talk to.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    OP, what open class gun are you trying to get a minor load worked up for? Piece of cake to reverse engineer a minor 125 power factor using 115's you need them to run @ a minimum of 1087 fps plus a little wiggle room for temperature and seating deviations. With powder shortages being this bad, whatever you already have 8 plus pounds of would be the way to go don't you think?

Open class 9mm pistol loads for major are another story, I have plenty of my own load data for that but I won't post loads in that range here. PM me if that's what your really looking to do with an open class piece so long as your an experienced handloader and not new and just getting started in the open game I'll share some of that with you.

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    Thanks trophyhunter,

I have a pound of win autocomp onhand that I use to load standard .45. I have a pound of titegroup on order.

I know Im going to order powder, I want to get what will work best for a compensator, and buy 8lbs. That's why Im looking for input from people who shoot compensated 125PF.

The gun is a Springfield Armory Model PC9201 1911-A1 Distinguished Bianchi.
    This is what the Springfield build sheet says about it.

• Custom fit slide to national match frame
    • Custom fit match barrel & bushing style triple port compensator
    • Polished feed ramp; throated barrel
    • Springfield Custom tool steel match hammer & sear
    • Fitted speed trigger w/custom tuned 3.5 lb. trigger pull
    • Lowered & flared ejection port
    • Tuned & polished extractor
    • Full length recoil spring guide rod w/recoil buffer system
    • Lightened slide for 125 power factor ammunition

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Nice piece! The compensated barrel is what your going to have to develop the load around in that pistol. If you don't own a chrono that's really the first thing your going to need, no one can give you a load for that pistol that can guarantee minor without working it up using that gun.

The Autocomp you have on hand is great for 9mm compensated loads, AA#5 and power pistol would also be among my first choices just the right burn rate to build pressure increases working up and low flash.

Titegroup would not be one of the powder's I'd choose to load for that gun for the following reasons. That's a pretty fast powder, so is AA#2 and similar. You can build a load using it but the small area it occupies of the case capacity and .1 increments of charge levels advance your pressure in a real hurry. I'd have some concerns for that type of load working it up with enough wiggle room for my personal satisfaction right now being wintertime versus the 85* + days I may end up using them. I'd want that load as fast as possible with the best groups I can make it perform at.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where you can buy any decent midrange powder right now and there is the scale of economy to consider using the faster rate powders to load for 9mm with powder being made from *unobtanium* these days.

If Titegroup or a similar powder is all you can get right now don't let it stop you from loading with it, but be extra careful your sizing die has plenty of neck tension on those casings and don't overwork your flare. Find a load that works now and hold off making to many of them until warmer temps allow you to do a complete work up.

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    Thank you for the help. I have been a long time shooter, but until I started reloading last year, I have left compensated hand guns out of my collection. Thanks again. Ill get a chrono, work up some loads with autocomp, and be in touch with the results. I know I will need some guidance on getting the muzzle pressures up to make the comp work properly.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Thank you for the help. I have been a long time shooter, but until I started reloading last year, I have left compensated hand guns out of my collection. Thanks again. Ill get a chrono, work up some loads with autocomp, and be in touch with the results. I know I will need some guidance on getting the muzzle pressures up to make the comp work properly.

Yep, you'll be amazed at how far past "book" most loads will run to in that Springer before you find the sweet spot for the comp. Don't sweat it, that's what slow and meticulous load work up's are for. That's a really nice pistol btw, I bet that thing puts perma grin on your face before it's all said and done.

Save your fired brass and make notes on what loads they were from. I like to batch clean those and have a really good look at them cleaned up when your getting the pressures up there to make the comp do it's thing. Makes spotting pressure signs a bit easier.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    FMJ's will lead up the comp eventually. Stick with JHP's or plated for minor open ammo...

I imagine you'll be somewhere around 6gr autocomp. Start at 5gr and work up. The hotter you get, the better it will feel. Recoil spring, mainspring, and firing pin stop radius also play a huge role in recoil perception. All of which you may need to tune to your liking.

I don't know much about the bushing compensators. I was told they aren't effective enough for Major PF, so I never considered one. Minor ammo is a different beast to tame in open. There is just not as much gas to work the comp.

Look in a reloading manual for the powders with higher charge rates. Those will give you more gas to work the comp.

My current minor load is 145PF using imr 7625 and 124gr JHP's. Shoots like a 22.

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    Shot over 1000 rounds in Springer to date. Running 115 gr FMJ with 5.1 gr of autocomp, w COAL at 1.125. This is the best mix that I have found for the comp..it shoots as flat as my buckmark. I still need to chrono the load to get the PF

Top Bottom