• ...and so much more!
  • DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    Hi all,
    First, I know absolutely nothing about the AK platform. I have a family member with this rifle NIB, and am considering purchasing it. The box label says IO USA AKM47C, 7.62 x 39.

The bottom of the receiver by the magwell is stamped:

Elk River
    Houston, TX
    Model ERTD

The left side is stamped:

R.P.G. Arms
    south Houston, TX

Trigger and black plastic furniture are all marked Tapco. So... Is this a nice gun to keep and shoot? I have always loved the look of the AK with the underfolder stock, does the furniture all exchange between all of the AK variants? I have nice ARs, so I don't know what I really would expect from this gun, just something else for the collection.

Thanks in advance for any info, I will keep up my onlime searches for anything else.

Darren

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It does sound like an Elk River rifle that somehow got put into an IO box.

Yes, some photos of the overall rifle and close shots of all the writing on it would help immensely.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If it was built by rpg then it's probably a good rifle. They must have used a elk river reciever. Elk river made receivers and I think even produced some guns. RPG is known for Custom builds and I've seen a couple and they were nice. Maybe I jumped the gun due to the IO box. If it's stamped IO anywhere on that gun I wouldn't touch it though.

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    Thanks for jumping in so quickly, guys. The box could definitely be a mix-up, and I don't see IO anywhere on the gun. Stand-by for pics.

Darren

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Since this is an American made ak /reciever there is no reason RPG would have their company stamp on the side other than if they assembled / built it. Only other reason would be if they were the importer but this is an American gun so no importing would be needed. So if say buy it if the price is right. RPG is good to go in my opinion. Others more knowledgeable than me will come in with their opinions too so wait till they come in.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I wonder who the kit is made by? There's obvious machining marks on the trunion. it's deffinately a RPG build using the elk river reciever. I don't know if RPG used all American parts or if they used foreign lets kits. Now all I have is more questions lol. Needs some new furniture. That plastic is nasty :)

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    Yes, I am already shopping for new furniture and haven't even decided to buy the gun yet! Will this take any furniture? I see things listed for Polish, Hungarian, Romanian rifles... I guess I have a lot of reading to do.

Darren

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Looks like a standard European style build, so any Euro furniture should fit. Just a note, sometimes the manufacturers make the wood parts slightly oversized so a bit of filing is needed to get wood to fit nicely. They do this because it is easier to remove wood than it is to add wood. ;) :D

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Ok got it... RPG built the AK. RPG purchased Elk River which explains the receiver. IO purchased the guns from RPG, added their own furniture and threw it in an IO box.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Ok got it... RPG built the AK. RPG purchased Elk River which explains the receiver. IO purchased the guns from RPG, added their own furniture and threw it in an IO box.

^ I think we have a winner. IMO, the best thing you could do is burn the box so no one will think it's in any way, shape or form related to IO, and put a set of Arsenal / KVAR furniture or some laminate on it. Other than that, it's probably a decent rifle. As with any American assembled AK, check for things like canted sights / gas blocks and bad rivets. Unfortunately, the most cobbled together Kalishnakovs on planet Earth are assembled by clowns here in the US like IO and Century.

Top Bottom