• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • _0llZll0_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    In the future i would like to purchase a place where i can have my own personal range. Looking for ideas and any knowledge i can gain on this subject regarding laws and any other info you guys and gals can throw my way on the subject .

:rockwoot:

Thanks
    Z

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    300 ft away from your house. 1000 feet away from a school. Not in city limits. Make sure you over compensate the backstop a lil bit. Preferably no houses at least a half mile behind it

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    300 ft away from your house. 1000 feet away from a school. Not in city limits. Make sure you over compensate the backstop a lil bit. Preferably no houses at least a half mile behind it

Why the 300' from your house?

9lock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Classified
    In the future i would like to purchase a place where i can have my own personal range. Looking for ideas and any knowledge i can gain on this subject regarding laws and any other info you guys and gals can throw my way on the subject .

:rockwoot:

Thanks
    Z

In the future I would like to know how much it will cost to come out with my firearms, talk firearms and shoot with you:ar15:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    When I built my range, I was told by the county Sheriff that there were only three considerations in Grant County....

You can't shoot within 100 feet of a public roadway
    You cannot shoot across a public roadway
    no projectile may leave your property

I've had no issues in several years.

I"m not a lawyer, I have no code references to provide, and things may have changed...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    When I built my range, I was told by the county Sheriff that there were only three considerations in Grant County....

I've had no issues in several years.

I"m not a lawyer, I have no code references to provide, and things may have changed...

I also heard you cannot shoot across water. :dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Why not? No law on the books that I've seen. My county passed an ordinance last year (invalid as of July 1 of this year) and in my conversations with the county board members, there was no concern about being within 100 feet of a roadway.

True

Actually they may if you have permission, in any case there is no law that I've seen in Indiana mandating your projectiles stay on your property. HOWEVER, if they leave your property then it is certain that YOU ARE LIABLE when/where they land. So that said it sort of a tricky legal thing. No law against it. But if your bullet does leave your property then you are legally to blame.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Why not? No law on the books that I've seen. My county passed an ordinance last year (invalid as of July 1 of this year) and in my conversations with the county board members, there was no concern about being within 100 feet of a roadway.

True

Actually they may if you have permission, in any case there is no law that I've seen in Indiana mandating your projectiles stay on your property. HOWEVER, if they leave your property then it is certain that YOU ARE LIABLE when/where they land. So that said it sort of a tricky legal thing. No law against it. But if your bullet does leave your property then you are legally to blame.

Well, since you seem to be adjudicating everything that everyone else is submitting, tell us how it is. When did you build your range, and were there any stipulations? When did you speak with the Grant County officials?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well, since you seem to be adjudicating everything that everyone else is submitting, tell us how it is.

I think I pretty much did.

There seem to be no state regs for private ranges.

The state pre-emption law seems to void county ordinances.

State shooting laws (like shooting across roads) would still be valid.

As for the 1000 foot from a school rule or the 300 foot rule, those seem to be wive's tales/urban myths. If you are on your own property the gun free school zone regulations (federal law) do not apply to you.

As for speaking with the Grant County officials, I've never spoken to them, never said I did. But it really wouldn't matter. The state pre-emption law would likely void any ordinances that they enacted.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    How far up can you shoot if no projectile can leave your property?
    If you shoot at a 90° angle up in the air, when is the round leaving your property?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If you have mineral rights you can probably shoot down a few thousand feet. If no mineral rights, I wouldn't shoot down more than 30' or they may accuse you of attempting to mine.

As far as the height goes, let's assume this is one of those "no one will ever shoot straight up in the air so it doesn't matter" scenarios. I know it's just for intellectual curiosity.

MythBusters Episode 50: Bullets Fired Up

Mythbusters showed less than lethal when it hits terminal velocity on the way down, but it's likely illegal in most states to shoot up in the air

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you have mineral rights you can probably shoot down a few thousand feet. If no mineral rights, I wouldn't shoot down more than 30' or they may accuse you of attempting to mine.

As far as the height goes, let's assume this is one of those "no one will ever shoot straight up in the air so it doesn't matter" scenarios. I know it's just for intellectual curiosity.

MythBusters Episode 50: Bullets Fired Up

Mythbusters showed less than lethal when it hits terminal velocity on the way down, but it's likely illegal in most states to shoot up in the air

Also you could get in trouble if you hit a plane.

Depending the kind of gun you have of course ...

162454765_small.jpg

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    300 ft house, 1000 ft school

I think I pretty much did.

There seem to be no state regs for private ranges.

The state pre-emption law seems to void county ordinances.

State shooting laws (like shooting across roads) would still be valid.

As for the 1000 foot from a school rule or the 300 foot rule, those seem to be wive's tales/urban myths. If you are on your own property the gun free school zone regulations (federal law) do not apply to you.

As for speaking with the Grant County officials, I've never spoken to them, never said I did. But it really wouldn't matter. The state pre-emption law would likely void any ordinances that they enacted.

I was looking into building a range on my property this winter. I talked to some local leos and that's the only two things they pointed out to me. I would love to find out where I can find it in writing that its not true. Because it would be within both of those boundaries. It is in the country though, and a corn field separates me from the school.

Honestly you guys are more comfortable with laws and regs than the Leo I talked to so I'm def not arguing with you. I just rather be safe than sorry.

Top Bottom