• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Can anyone point me in the right direction.

My union employer is saying there is only a small window to drop out of the union which has already lapsed. I thought with the new Right to Work law a employee could drop out at anytime.

I'm not pro nor anti union but my union just doesn't get anything done and I'm tired of being screwed over.

They're also requiring temporary employees to pay union dues without representation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I haven't followed this issue, but some quick googling and I believe it is still unresolved.

The courts resolved that right-to-work was constitutional back in November/December 2014. I do not believe there is an pending litigation.

Wait - The Indiana Lawyer says there might be a lingering bit of litigation:
    Right-to-work court battle may not be over | The Indiana Lawyer

It is strange that there isn't more out there, although I might just be looking in the wrong places. This is not advice, but an observation: I'm not sure I'd trust the union rep to properly interpret the provisions limiting the union's power.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Our local UAW has accepted that they're on the losing side. I can't say that means it's over, but they seem to think it is. Be aware, they will flat out lie about the whole thing. That site I linked has a lot of information...

I'll go a step further than T. Let, do not trust your union rep.

rhed07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indy
    Been through this myself, check with these guys National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation After right to work was signed, existing contracts had to sunset. With help I learned to 1 send a certified letter to Union hall notifying them you are leaving 2 send same to employer stopping authorization for dues deduction. The guys at the foundation were interested in test cases in new RTW states and were aggressive( and free). They will have the most current options available for you. Depending on your job situation, be prepared for some social blow back.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Been through this myself, check with these guys National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation After right to work was signed, existing contracts had to sunset. With help I learned to 1 send a certified letter to Union hall notifying them you are leaving 2 send same to employer stopping authorization for dues deduction. The guys at the foundation were interested in test cases in new RTW states and were aggressive( and free). They will have the most current options available for you. Depending on your job situation, be prepared for some social blow back.

Social blow back is a non issue. The only pro union people are union officals. Everyone else has been in a holding pattern wondering if they want to drop out or not.

For me it's not the money side. I look at a union like I do lawyers. I'm paying them for representation and if I'm not being represented to my standards I'll find someone else or in this case not pay union dues.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    For me it's not the money side. I look at a union like I do lawyers. I'm paying them for representation and if I'm not being represented to my standards I'll find someone else or in this case not pay union dues.

Exactly.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, but an employer can fire a union member for no reason.

Apply if your not in the union can the employer just fire you for any reason?
    I take it that made sense to you. :scratch:

There's always been "Beck dues", which allowed a represented member to only pay the amount that covered representation - not the money that funneled straight into the DNC. When I was at a UAW plant that was 66.51% (or something like that). So the small minority of us that cared enough sent letters to the UAW From then on we were known as "local 6651" around the place.

Now days you can be in "local 0". :rockwoot:

As to what the union rep tells you; yeah a lot of lies - same as the company rep will. I got sick of being patronized on both ends and left.

Top Bottom