• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I have a Shield 9 and an M&P 9 full size. I really like the Shield. I like the trigger. Runs everything I feed it no problem. It's pretty accurate, especially for a small gun. Recoil is very manageable, though I probably wouldn't want Shield .40 for snappiness. I shoot the full size more accurately than the Shield, but obviously it's a longer barrel and sight radius with less recoil. I have never had an issue the safety engaging or disengaging when I don't want it to. I put some Ameriglo Idot pro sights on it and love them. Much better than the stock sights. Only negative in my mind is capacity.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I have a Shield 9 and an M&P 9 full size. I really like the Shield. I like the trigger. Runs everything I feed it no problem. It's pretty accurate, especially for a small gun. Recoil is very manageable, though I probably wouldn't want Shield .40 for snappiness. I shoot the full size more accurately than the Shield, but obviously it's a longer barrel and sight radius with less recoil. I have never had an issue the safety engaging or disengaging when I don't want it to. I put some Ameriglo Idot pro sights on it and love them. Much better than the stock sights. Only negative in my mind is capacity.

I'm looking at the Shield as well, how hard was it to replace the sights with the Ameriglo's did it require a sight pusher tool? Those night sights they offer for the Shield look like the way to go, that front pin is nice and easy to see.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm looking at the Shield as well, how hard was it to replace the sights with the Ameriglo's did it require a sight pusher tool? Those night sights they offer for the Shield look like the way to go, that front pin is nice and easy to see.

If it's like the FS, I would get the tool. I changed mine out and it was easy with the tool. I wouldn't want to hammer on the slide that hard to get the sight off. Especially the rear one. BTW, I really like my Ameriglo's. I got the CAP sights for my FS.

bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I've had one for several months now. It's thin and light, comfortable to grip, but I'm not very accurate with it. If you read comments on the S&W Forum, you'll see a lot of people saying it shoots slightly low left....same for me. I have my theory, part of which is the trigger pull is pretty heavy and I think the smaller frame affects the trigger squeeze. I have long fingers! I bought it mainly as a second house gun and possible CCW so the slight accuracy issue is no big deal to me; not a competitive target shooter! Overall I'm very happy with it and thinking about adding the Lasermax laser .

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I could say my FS shoots low and to the left too. But the reality is that if I take my time and do it "right" my hits will be right at POA.

It is me who is pulling the shots low and to the left. I suspect this could be the same issue with the Shield and it's owners.

I thought for sure it was my gun. I even had several other people shoot it and they had the same problem. Then I had my brother shoot it and guess what? He hit right where he aimed.

Last weekend at the range, I was still low and left but getting better. Today I put 94 out of 100 rounds in the "0" on an IDPA target. It was only 7 yards, but hey, you have to start somewhere!

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Been carrying mine in 9mm for over a year. For me it's the perfect compromise between size, easy to conceal, comfortable to carry and 8 +1 on board. So far I haven't had a problem with it digesting anything I've shot though it, hand loads or commercial ammo after the break in period. (when it was new the slide didn't go into battery when cambering the first round on occasion but never failed to go into battery upon firing). A little practice and I hit center mass at 15 yards so it's accurate enough. Perceived recoil for a light weight 9mm it excellent, close to the M&P 9c for me. Never had a problem with the safety inadvertently disengaging. The stock trigger is better than the full size M&P's but honestly I can't really comment on how much better because one the first things I do on most new guns to stone and polish the contact surfaces to get rid of the "grittyness" and smooth out the trigger.

The downsides. There was a recall due to a problem with the trigger safety not working properly on some of them, not a problem on the new ones. The sights aren't the best for an EDC, I put a set of TFO's on mine. not hard to do with a sight pusher. When they first came out people were complaining about the recoil spring being easily damaged which is true to some extent but it's not the gun fault. When putting back together after field striping you have to make sure the recoil spring is alined properly. There isn't the normal slight cut out on the under side of the barrel to hold the recoil spring so people were forcing the slide on with the spring not being properly alined and damaging the end. Other than that I can't thing of any other downsides to the Shield.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012

Sent you a PM. Sorry, I just now saw this.

IndyT0m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I heard it has some issues with the slide sticking open a bit when pushed into a pocket or holster. I was thinking about the Shield but may go with the Compact which doesn't have that crappy safety.

Top Bottom