• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So I am trying to get a insurance policy for my collection. The INS said I need to have them appraised.

I know some folks at some gun shops, but I am not sure if that would work with the INS company.

Anyone have any local contacts?

Thanks,
    JW

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    My insurance company, State Farm, asked for "Replacement value" of each weapon. Of course, it may be different if you have antiques or other older guns. Check with your insurance company to see if an appraisal from a gun shop is satisfactory. Also, have you looked into the NRA insurance?

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That's the thing. This is Statefarm and they want an appraisal. I am asking for a large rider policy. My collection has gotten out of control. I have a couple of calls in to places. but they want from 20-35 per gun.

Last edited:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    tagging for interest...I was also told to get my guns appraised for State Farm. Still have to do it. Would like to know how to go about it the easiest way possible.

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    I basically typed up a spreadsheet with model and $ to replace. My smith then typed it up on his letterhead. Took it to State Farm, about 9 yrs later when they were stolen I got a check for $ on that spread sheet. Better than a gun safe IMHO. Cost me 150 bucks a year to insure.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I was told by state farm that a one hundred thousand dollar policy would cost about 1300 a year. They would come out and photo and seriel each item along with its replacement cost. I just used references of online sales and known catolog sales to get costs. I didnt dare tell them what I had paid as they would just lowball me later if so. I had also looked in usaa, very nice people to work with too. Didnt go with state farm because they cancelled my auto policy for too many claims, three in a five year time frame.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    How about asking the INS CO. if they have a preferred or certified appraiser you should use. I know that when getting a quote to insure my 1967 Firebird, Safeco gave me the names of several local appraisers that they recommended and had no problem writing the policy for the numbers they came up with.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Get Arms Care thru the NRA. It's an agreed value coverage, and less costly than all the others I checked..

That is actually my best option.

State farm wanted the guns appraised and I was looking at a few hundred bucks just to get the guns appraised. then it was going to be about 300 per month.

The NRA Armscare and ArmsCare Plus is a little cheaper for more coverage. All I need to file a claim is a police report and a description of the gun. So I will just have a very detailed list with photos to go with the guns.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I was told by state farm that a one hundred thousand dollar policy would cost about 1300 a year. They would come out and photo and seriel each item along with its replacement cost. I just used references of online sales and known catolog sales to get costs. I didnt dare tell them what I had paid as they would just lowball me later if so. I had also looked in usaa, very nice people to work with too. Didnt go with state farm because they cancelled my auto policy for too many claims, three in a five year time frame.

From my State Farm agent, I got a separate policy, in addition to two cars and renters insurance, providing me with just over $5200 coverage as replacement costs for my firearms. The annual premium for this cost me $83.45.

In addition, I also have the $2500 free coverage from the NRA. I looked into NRA's Armscare program, and found the premium was comparable to State Farm's, but now I have a local agent handling my coverage.

Now, I don't have any "premium-priced" weapons like rare models, one of a kinds, or rare antique weapons. The one antique I have is a Model 1895 7mm Chilean Mauser, built in 1895. Replacement cost for this is about what I paid for it, a little under $250. If one does have any rare weapons, the premium may be higher, and an appraisal might be in order, regardless of the cost. YMMV...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    :wrongdoor:

When I read the title I read it as,

Need my guns appraised for I.N.S. (Immigration & Naturalization Service)

I was all like :dunno:

bob190e

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Valparaiso
    still better than paying someone to appraise them.

To me this seems kind of like a gun registration in a very sneaky way. The ArmsCare from the NRA doesn’t require serial numbers. I just bought a really good safe and bolted it to the concrete floor hopefully this will be all the insurance I need.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have had a State Farm Personal Articles policy for several years. They accept the values I provide for our guns. My agent expressly stated he did not need a professional appraisal. That leaves me thinking there's a misunderstanding here.

As for other insurance policies, be sure you know what losses are covered by the policy you buy. Some of them will only cover a loss occurring in your home.

Top Bottom