• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I believe before "slick willy"(Bill Clinton) took office, the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) was called the DCM (Dept. of Civilian Marksmanship).

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    CMP is news to me. I'm surprised the US gov still has 1911s to get rid of???? So what kind of price point would you expect it to be around?

Also so it seems like one big hassle to join the right clubs and stuff to be eligible. Is there any other way to buy surplus firearms or is this the best/only?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    CMP is news to me. I'm surprised the US gov still has 1911s to get rid of???? So what kind of price point would you expect it to be around?

Also so it seems like one big hassle to join the right clubs and stuff to be eligible. Is there any other way to buy surplus firearms or is this the best/only?

Gun shows, gun stores, INGO classifieds, etc. You only need to know something about what it is you are looking for so that you know it when you see it.

If, by surplus, you mean buying something directly out of current US military storage, then CMP is the only game in town and even then these are guns that are actually being returned to the US from foreign military storage under the rules established when they were loaned out.

It is debatable which is the best way to go, it depends upon what you want. Over the years, I have bought a bunch of M1 Garands from both gun shows and the CMP. The nicest condition one that I ever got was from the CMP, practically new, but those are no longer available and won't be available again. The one that I currently own was from a gun show and is much nicer than anything that is available from the CMP now.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

If I remember my history correctly? The DCM(Dept. of Civilian Marksmanship) later under Clinton re-named CMP (Civilian Marksmanship program) as he stopped much if not all federal funding of the program. Anyway...The program I believe was instituted my President Teddy Roosevelt as a way/means for all able bodied civilian men and boys to learn the art of marksmanship and be better readied in the event that they should need to take up arms to defend the United States(which later did in fact happen) . So the program now exist today as we know it.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Gun shows, gun stores, INGO classifieds, etc. You only need to know something about what it is you are looking for so that you know it when you see it.

If, by surplus, you mean buying something directly out of current US military storage, then CMP is the only game in town and even then these are guns that are actually being returned to the US from foreign military storage under the rules established when they were loaned out.

Yeah, I did mean directly from storage, thanks for reading my mind!! Haha. Very interesting program!

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    Unless they changed the rules, I think all I needed was the police ID about five years ago. Registered and picked up a nice rusty Kimber .22 before they ran out. Might bring an fop card but I don’t think I needed it.

Top Bottom