• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Huge fan of Lowa Boots. Have worn these hiking for a few years now, served me very well from Rockies to Sedona. I own Danners, Wolverine, but Lowas are far more comfortable (on my feet), especially when battle plantar fasciitis flare up.

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/task-force-tactical/zephyr-gtx-mid-tf-wolf

Those look pretty good. How hot do they get during the summer?

And how do they size up? I normally wear a 10.5 and my feet are a little on the wide side.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Tried a pair of Keen boots about 6 years ago, pretty much on a whim. Only boots and work shoes I will buy now. Super comfy, some are water proof, some even have steel toed. Wide range of style options, colors etc.

Another vote for Keen. Very comfortable, they don't get too hot, good for a variety of applications. They're not Danners, so ultimately they are likely to wear out a little sooner, but I've had mine for 3+ years and they are still going strong.

I know OP doesn't want water proofing, but I can vouch for my current pair in that department. I've worn them wading in the creek and as long as the water line stays below the top of the cuff they are completely water tight.

Some Keen boots are pretty fugly, but not all.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    These are just the boots you are looking for. So comfortable, bought last minute for a Itilay and Switzerland winter trip with tons of walking cobblestones,ancient steps, and climbs. Wore Smartwool socks in them. Broke them in on the trip just perfect. Great support and stability, good traction and grip. Easily function as a tactical boot but the great casual grey man look. I paid full price a year ago, no regrets.

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-track-25-m-83181401543.html?dwvar_83181401543_color=01543#start=21&sz=20

831814-01543-outside.jpg

So after this post I pulled them out and wore them for the first time this fall, they felt great. Had worn Ariat work boots the day before and was amazed how light these felt on my feet. Another point on the grey man looks, when covered by a pant leg they just look like a guys shoe, not a sturdy boot. Got mine at Stouts Shoes in Indy...

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Tried a pair of Keen boots about 6 years ago, pretty much on a whim. Only boots and work shoes I will buy now. Super comfy, some are water proof, some even have steel toed. Wide range of style options, colors etc.

^^^ I tried a pair after my old boss wore a pair in one day. Most comfortable boots I've ever owned. I wont go back to traditional work boots. I'm retired now but still wear my Keens for everything that requires boots. Great trail, hiking, work, fishing, hunting boot. Highly recommend you check them out.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    All my military boots have been Rocky, up until this last pair. Can't say I'll use them again as they've had quality issues lately. Merrell has new owners as of a few years ago and are cheaply built IMO anymore. I personally use Soloman gtx boots and they are freaking amazing! Light, comfortable and not super expensive. They run a sale twice a year and you can get them for a good price. Danner and Redwing all leather boots are also good American made boots that take a bit to break in, but are highly regarded, price aside. Hope that helps

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I wore out my Irish Setters(leather), I tried a pair of merrels( my feet got soaked just walking in dew ), I had a pair of solomons I liked except for a weird squeak when walking(my son managed to have a blow out in them). I currently have a pair of vasque( $150) I have been ankle deep in water & my feet stayed dry in them.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    https://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots/

Best boots and custom made. The PH sounds like what the OP wants, they can adjust materials etc., to fit desired usage.

They ain't cheap but I had been through lots of pairs of boots over the last 40 years. I got a pair of Russell's 8-9 years ago and they look brand new. They will outlast me.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Irish Setter Marshalls! End of story!

In all seriousness these are my go to, everyday, do everything boots. I've got 4 pair of them, oldest ones being a little over 4 years old. I get a new pair pretty much every year, not because they're worn out, but work gives an allowance for them. Newest ones stay at work then when I get a new pair they become my everyday boots. I have a yard work/dirty boots, hunting boots, everyday boots, and work boots. Within the next month or so I'll get a new pair and have to figure out the use of another pair downstream.

https://www.irishsetterboots.com/work-boots/safety-toe-boots/marshall-83912.html

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    lol, I suppose my idea of long lasting may be a tad optimistic! I am reading here about boots lasting 2-8 years. And I get it that they may be worn daily which will reduce longevity.

But I am on my second pair of cold weather hunting boots. My first pair I got when I was 15. I finally let them got when I bought my second pair when I turned 50. These will be my last pair of boots of that type that I will own. First pair were Sorell's. The newer pair(11 years old now) are Rocky's if I recall.

I wound expect to measure how long a pair of boots used for the shooting range would be in decades, not years.

But then again, when I was running, I replaced my running shoes 3x a year so there you go.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I only buy Vasque Sundowners.

I wear these boots literally EVERY DAY for work and play.

I got three years out of the last pair. They still had life left in them but the tread was almost gone.

These are the only pair of boots I will buy because they are the only ones I have found that didn't die after a year.

Please keep in mind these will take three to four months to break in! They are STIFF...once they are broken in they are AMAZING!

I have owned three pairs of Keens over the years and like the wide toe but they fell apart and I don't know what it is about their waterproof materials but it only takes a couple of months before it smells like a cat puked in them.

I had to keep them in the garage because of the odors....I only buy real Gore-Tex now.

Boots I have owned over the years for daily life.
    Keens...3 pairs.
    Redwings..3 pairs
    Timberlands..2 pairs
    Merrells..2 pairs
    Danners..1 pair
    Rocky..2 pairs
    Under Armor...1 pair
    I am sure I have missed a bunch but can't remember them all.:dunno:

81XRm7r7zgL._AC_SR700,525_.jpg

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    lol, I suppose my idea of long lasting may be a tad optimistic! I am reading here about boots lasting 2-8 years. And I get it that they may be worn daily which will reduce longevity.

But I am on my second pair of cold weather hunting boots. My first pair I got when I was 15. I finally let them got when I bought my second pair when I turned 50. These will be my last pair of boots of that type that I will own. First pair were Sorell's. The newer pair(11 years old now) are Rocky's if I recall.

I wound expect to measure how long a pair of boots used for the shooting range would be in decades, not years.

But then again, when I was running, I replaced my running shoes 3x a year so there you go.

If you want that kind of longevity and don't care about waterproofing then look at Courteney Boots.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I burned through several pairs of Merrills. Last couple weren't so great quality wise.

Switched to Keen's. Loved them, but again, quality seems to be on downhill trend. Though I have to say that their customer service is outstanding. I hiked around Joshua Tree NP with a brand new pair. In two days of light use the sole started delaminating. Sent them an email with pics of the defects and the receipt. I had a brand new pair in two days. They let me keep the defective ones that I glued up and wore for beaters.

Have a pair of Danners that I can't stand...

UaRPGJul.jpg

I've had them for years. Every year I try them out again, thinking I just haven't put enough miles on them and that they'll get better with use. They don't.:rolleyes:

Cattman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Franklin
    FYI Rural King has Muck Artic Pro boots on sale for $99. I've always had good luck with Muck keeping scent free on my walks in and out.

Top Bottom